11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 25, 2019 1:29 PM by Jeff Niederman

2018 online deactivation via mysolidworks portal?

Paul Cross

I have been told that SW-2018 can be deactivated through mysolidworks.com portal.  How do I access this feature?

(I hate to run the risk of leaving forgetting to deactivate the office seat before I leave for home!)

• Re: 2018 online deactivation via mysolidworks portal?
          Jeff Niederman

Hi Paul,

The online deactivation you mention is the 2018 online licensing feature.  It's an opt-in feature.

The place to opt in is the SOLIDWORKS Admin Portal.  From MySolidWorks, you should see a link for Admin Portal under you login name at the top of the page.

The availability of the Admin Portal link has been phased in, but most US customers should see it as of this month.

If you are the Admin for your account, you can enter and opt into online licensing.  The "About Admin Portal" link on the top right will take you a Help topic which explains online licensing and Admin Portal in more detail.

Thanks,

Jeff

Whit Elliott

We're just now updating to 2018 from 2017, mostly for this feature since several of us travel quite a bit, and have forgotten to deactivate more than a couple times.

My questions are...

1) Can each of us, 5 total in 4 locations, be Admins? Or is it just one per organization?

2) And does "I accept responsibility for managing SOLIDWORKS product license assignments for my organization." simply mean others will call me when they forget to log out/deactivate instead of our VAR?

Thanks

Ryan Dark

Hi Whit,

To answer your questions:

1. You can have any number of Admins in your organization.  You just could not have zero.  So, all 5 of you can be Admins if you wish to give everyone that functionality.
                  2. If you are using Online Licensing then there are no licenses permanently attached to machines.  The license moves to wherever the user takes it.  Being an Admin just lets you assign which user has which serial number.  If an Online License is checked out for offline use a VAR would need to be contacted to undo that if the machine itself cannot return the license.  If you happen to keep any licenses on Activation Licensing a VAR will still have to be contacted to remove licenses from machines.  So, a VAR is still involved in some ways.
                  Walter Fetsch

Hi Jeff,

If I go to my.solidworks.com and follow the links to support, I do not find a link to the SOLIDWORKS Admin Portal, that you mentioned in your post.  Is it now the CAD Admin Dashboard or is this something different?  I tried it and found no reference to online licensing or a link to About Admin Portal.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Husein Delic

Go to my.solidworks.com then login, see image.

Jeff Niederman

Hi Walter,

The Admin Portal link that Hosein shows in the login menu above will be there if we recognize your Company as having access to Admin Portal.  This was initially a phased rolled out, but most companies are eligible now. 

If you do not see Admin Portal in the login menu, then it might be:

1. MySolidWorks doesn't know what account you belong to

2. There is a problem with our records.

For #1, login to Customer Portal and Register My Products.  When you enter one of your Serial Numbers there, that action will associate your login with the company that owns your products.  Once we know which company you belong to, you should see the Admin Portal link.  You might need to log out and log back in again to wake it up.

For #2, check in with your VAR.  Login to the My Reseller page of  MySolidWorks and take a screen capture of that page to send to your VAR.  It may be that we need to update our records.

Admin Portal is a tool that gives you a view into all the users and products associated with your company.   It's a superset above CAD Admin Dashboard. You can access CAD Admin Dashboard from there (though it is still accessible from Customer Portal, too), but you can enable and assign online licensing there, too. 

More information about Admin Portal is here: http://help.solidworks.com/2019/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_admin_portal.htm?

Hope this helps,

Jeff

Walter Fetsch

Jeff,

I've logged in, agreed to the legalese, set my license to online.  Now neither my desktop, nor my laptop can use the license.  There doesn't seem to be any selection to deactivate the assigned license on the portal.  How does this thing work?

Jeff Niederman

Hi Walter,

If the license/serial number you set to online is the license/serial number you were using, then the steps to switch are:

1. Deactivate the license from your computer

2. In Admin Portal, change the Activation Type from Machine Activation to Online Licensing.

3. Assign the serial number/license to yourself.

3. Back on your computer, run the software.

It will prompt you to activate again (because you deactivated in step 1 above and the software on your computer doesn't know yet about any changes you made in the portal)

The activation wizard will reach out to our servers and see that the serial number was changed to online licensing.  It will tell you that it's switching your installation over to online licensing on next start-up.

4. You will be prompted to login to your software on the next startup.

5. The login will pulldown the licenses assigned in the Admin Portal and allow you to run your software.

There is no notion of deactivating an online license.  An online license doesn't need to be deactivated.  It gets returned when you shut down the software, and you can take it from yourself on a different computer if you don't shut down your software first.

If this is not working as described above, please reach out to your VAR to help you troubleshoot further.

I hope this information helps.

Jeff