AnsweredAssumed Answered

Why do the appearances only show when part is clicked on in Solidworks 2018?

Question asked by Brandon Rausch on Mar 26, 2018
Latest reply on Sep 24, 2018 by Brandon Rausch

Hi,

I just installed SolidWorks 2018, service pack 2.0.  On assemblies and part models that I have created from 2016, and 2017, the material appearances are not showing correctly.  For example, the material I am using is Pine.  I should be seeing the pine grain on the part models, however, all I am seeing is the shaded color.  If I select the part, then the wood grain appears, but as soon as I select a different part, or just un-select, the grain goes away.  Sometimes it will stay...and then if I save, close, and re-open, it is gone again.

Any ideas on why this would be happening?  Is this a setting to improve performance that I don't remember setting in the past?  Is it something really simple that I am missing?

UPDATE: I have kept looking into this.  The only way that I can keep material appearances is to have two different appearances applied to different faces.  Some material appearances show when hitting apply, but some do not.  Also, I ran into when I applied appearances to just one feature, then saved the drawing, closed, and re-opened, the feature actually was suppressed.  But I have no idea why.  Are some of the appearances no longer supported, or not in the same location? 

Thank you,

Brandon

Outcomes