5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 27, 2018 1:36 PM by Ryan Dark

Mesh Issue

Ryan Brumwell

I am new to Solidworks, and I am having issues running a static FEA on a reinforced concrete beam.  I have attached the picture of the beam, and the mesh error.  What would cause this? I believe it is mated correctly, there are no interference's...  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Re: Mesh Issue
          Ryan Dark

Hi Ryan,

By default a simulation has a Global Contact for Bonding defined.  In this definition it is the default state to use a 'Compatible Mesh'.  If I were to guess on your pictures alone as to what is causing the mesh failure for this setup it would be that setting.  So, edit the definition of your 'Global Contact Bonded' and change it over to 'Incompatible Mesh' then mesh again.

This video goes over this setting if you would like to know more (GoEngineer - Simulation: Compatible and Incompatible Meshing).

Ryan Brumwell

Hey Ryan,

Thank you for the replay, I was wondering how will the results change by switching to a Incompatible Mesh.  From watching the video it sounded like doing an incompatible mesh will break the bond between the two components. 

Ryan Dark

Using incompatible mesh will not break bonding.  Will the results be different than a compatible mesh?  Probably.  You still need to do convergence testing once you are able to get it to mesh and run anyway so you may want to try it.

The alternative would be to utilize mesh controls applied to the interacting faces of the rebar and concrete to try to get their mesh element sizes close enough that a compatible mesh is then possible.

Ryan Brumwell

So after applying the incompatible mesh, and setting the mesh parameters to curvature-based mesh I can get the steel inside the beam to mesh but I am still having issues with the concrete.  Any ideas?  And once again thank you for the help.

Ryan Dark

If you have set an incompatible mesh then the concrete body is now failing all on its own.  The next step might be to isolate the concrete body in its own study then determine a mesh size that allows it to mesh by itself.  Once you have found that mesh size go back to your original study and apply that mesh element size to the concrete block in a Mesh Control.  The process looks kinda like this (GoEngineer - Simulation: Mesh Controls).