4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 9:23 PM by John Layne

Is PDM Pro 2018 SP2 ready for prime time?

John Layne

Hi All,

Is PDM Pro 2018 SP2 ready for prime time?

We normally only upgrade once a year, just recently installed SolidWorks 2017 SP5, else too much down time with bugs and time involved in upgrading. However we are thinking of staying on SolidWorks 2017 SP5 but upgrading PDM Pro to 2018, to take advantage of the new drawing revision table pdm integration. Our previous drawing revision system simply doesn't work, due to a VAR change during our purchasing and installing PDM Pro, hence the question above.

Is it still buggy, any major show stoppers?

• Re: Is PDM Pro 2018 SP2 ready for prime time?
          Mati Link

I would comment the SP 5 reasoning. To my understanding  bugs fixed in SPs are not only from programmers' mishaps from previous service packs of current version. There are development projects to fix bugs from prioritized list and fixed feature can be introduced  in any SP and not specifically in current major version. When real show-stopper is introduced then they are handled with x.1 SPs. When it is true that things can be broken in new releases and new features might need fixes to ripe then I would discuss more  if special SP5 love is really justified.

Now that server sp does not need to be same as client sp the upgrades are very much easier to handle and it is possible to always have latest and greatest.

John Layne

Hi Mati,

We are a small company, 4 CAD users and another couple using users using PDM. Even so the disruption / time to install SP's is too significant, for us.

Way back in 2000 or so I used to install at SP1 but in my opinion SP1 is usually too full of bugs to be commercially useful. We do appreciate the other users who take the time to bug test and report issues.

Charley Saint

The EPDM 2018 Revision Table feature only works in SolidWorks 2018. They had to add new API calls to SolidWorks to make it work so it doesn't work in older versions, so probably don't upgrade until you're ready to go to SolidWorks 2018. We went to 2018 SP2 for the high DPI screen improvements, so far no major issues to report here.