16 Replies Latest reply on Mar 29, 2018 10:19 AM by Paul Salvador

[updated] How to model such surfaces?

Bruce Stark

Hi, how could I model such surface in Solidworks? I tried to make an extrusion with a dome on top, the result would not be exactly the expected, but could be close, but it didn't work. I also tried with lofts, but it produces self intersecting surfaces, and also doesn't work.

Here's another picture to help you understand the desired result.

I created the following sketches, c1 through c15 are the profiles along the geometry and the big green curve is a guide path.

I can make a loft from  c3 to c13, but without using the green curve as a guide. If try, the loft does not work. This way the result doesn't exactly follow the guide, but I could live with that.

The next step would be to create a loft from c1 to c3. I can create it without the guide curve, but then it doesn't get even close to the desired result (image below). If I pick the guide curve, it doesn not create the loft.

I'm modelling this for 3D printing, for a cosplay costume for my kid , so I don't need it to be perfect, but at least somewhat close to the reference sketches.

I also attached the .sldprt file if anyone's interested in taking a look at it.

Does anyone have any advices?

Thanks in advance...

P.S.:  Guys, really sorry, I didn't mean anyone to make the job for me, just need some advice on how to start, and since I spent so much time trying to figure it out how to model this, I didn't notice that to an outside person this picture is really not of great help.