3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 22, 2018 10:47 AM by William McFaul

Can you curve a flat assembly?

Kris Fricker

I'm a graduate student new to Solidworks and I'm working on reconstructing an ancient Roman warship for some materials tests.  I figured it would be faster to assemble the hull flat and then curve it to suit my needs (as opposed to making dozens of unique pieces) but now I'm not sure how to get the assembly into the shape I want.  Any suggestions or advice would be much appreciated!  I've included a side view of the half I've assembled and a photo of the shape I need (much like a wine glass).

The flat port side assemblage from keel to top wale:

Solidworks Flat.PNG

The approximate shape I need to conform the assemblage to:

midship crosssection of ship.png

• Re: Can you curve a flat assembly?
          Dave Bear

Hi Kris,

Ideally, parts created in SolidWorks are best done as they would be created in real life. I'm guessing that once you 'curve' this to the shape of the hull, you'll also need to 'curve' it from the bow to the stern. You stated you are a graduate student, did a instructor tell you to do it this way?

Did you contemplate using surfaces?

Dave.

Kris Fricker

Dave Bear

Thanks for your comment!  I am a grad student but I don't really have an instructor for this--I'm an archaeologist, not an engineer or designer and my professors can't really assist me.  I have just enough background in this area to get myself into trouble, but not quite enough knowledge to figure out all my problems on my own!  I was building this flat with plans to curve it later based off vague suggestions from a local engineer, she was originally assisting me on the project, but I haven't been able to contact her in several weeks (I think she moved to Canada?) so I just decided to figure it out on my own.  I've spent the past day or two learning Solidworks basics and figuring out how to mate everything properly, but I have no idea where to go from here.

Anyway, I've done a quick google on what surfaces are in Solidworks, and this may work better, but I'm not sure.  The goal of the project is to examine the strength of mortise and tenon warship hull and how the ships would break apart on impact (ancient warship tactics involved ramming your enemy--think of it like large scale deadly bumper cars, but on water).  We know very little about these ships, and I figured that if I knew how much force it took for the hull to fail, I could figure out things like max ramming speed and weight of an enemy ship, what the strongest/most venerable parts of the ship were, etc (obviously this is going to have some inherent limitations, but it would be better than the information we have now!).

It looks like I could very easily use surfaces to loft the general shape of the ship, but my goal was to build the mortise and tenon joinery for every plank.  I wish there was a way I could loft a patterned assembly XD.  Using the surfaces and lofting features I think I could build the vessel plank by plank so long as I got my angles and curves right, but I was wandering if you knew of a slightly easier (and faster) solution?

Thanks for your help!

Kris

William McFaul

Not really ideal but you could try sketched bends and enter some weird radius. If you make the profile already "curved" then you can avoid this problem. We roll snow plow blades here all the time. I draw the final shape, and get flat patterns from there rather than starting from a flat. In SW you make everything in reverse, kind of a weird concept now that I think about it.