17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 7:49 PM by Lawrence Cudzewicz

saving pdf's

Greg Hynd
      when i save a solidworks drawing file to a pdf(using save as) it takes ages to do it.
      is there a better way of doing this that is quicker?
        • saving pdf's
          Troy Peterson
          If you are using PDMW you can set it to save a PDF upon check-in.
          • saving pdf's
            Kevin Quigley
            What is your machine spec? How many sheets are in your drawings? What kind of models are in the drawings? Are the views all fully resolved? All this affects the time and quality. FYI today I saved out a 15 sheet set with part views (typically parts of maybe 100 to 150 features), various assembly configurations and exploded views. Saving this to pdf takes about 10-15 seconds tops. This is on a HP xw4600 Quad Core, windows XP 32, SolidWorks 2009 SP2.1. To be honest even on the largest files I deal with pdf never takes more than 30 seconds to save.
            • saving pdf's
              Anna Wood

greg hynd wrote:

when i save a solidworks drawing file to a pdf(using save as) it takes ages to do it.

is there a better way of doing this that is quicker?

Along with Kevin's questions, define ages.....

Cheers,

• saving pdf's
                  Greg Hynd
                  thanks everyone

machine spec is windows xp prof (5.1,build 2600
                  system model P31-DS3L
                  Intel(r) Core (TM) 2quad CPU Q9450 @2.66GHz (4 CPU,s) 32 bit
                  3582MB ram
                  graphics are NVIDIA Quadro FX 1700

i am running solidworks 2009 sp 1

we do balustrading so files never have a lot of parts but for 1 page drawings with a small section it can take 10seconds for 1 save.
                  i just saved out a simple plate 200x200 with 4 holes as trial and it took 9 secs.
                  my drawings may consist of a couple of section views etc , fairly simple stuff.

thanks in advance
                • saving pdf's
                  Kevin Quigley
                  Just tried the same on my HP system - takes about 2 seconds. I think you might have some other processes going on in the background that affect this. Maybe update to SP2.1 and see if that helps?
                  • saving pdf's
                    Jan Van Leeuwen
                    printing to a pdf printer is a quick method I often use: look at pdf995.com for instance to download for free.
                    it also makes pdf files smaller than SW does
                    • saving pdf's
                      Peter Gumprecht
                      Do you have the full version of Adobe Acrobat. If you do you can do a file print and print as a PDF.
                      This is actually how we do it. best of luck.
                      • saving pdf's
                        Peter Gumprecht
                        fyi. doing a print versus a save seems to lower the file size as well.
                        • saving pdf's
                          Gordon Metcalfe
                          Ditto to Acrobat Pro.
                          Best way to print PDFs that I have experienced, much more control over results than using the SW PDF save.
                          It also offers the ability to insert other docs from other apps into your package or extract and re-order pages, etc.
                          • saving pdf's
                            Kevin Quigley
                            A few points about pdf creation you might want to know (I beta for Adobe Acrobat and this was on the forum there).

If you go via SolidWorks save as (or indeed any application save as command) you save directly to pdf.
                            If you go via the print driver route, you actually are doing a postscript conversion in the background as well.

Up until a year or two ago the way I did pdfs was to print to pdf using Adobe PDF print driver. Now that software companies seem to have become familiar with the process, and there are less bugs as well in the code from Adobe, the best way should be to go direct from the application.

Getting back to your issues though, all I can suggest is you try the print to pdf route and see how that compares. In any case you should not be seeing the times you are, which leads me to think there is something else going on in the background. Does your anti virus scan files as they are generated? Are you saving to a network location? There are lots of variables.

try saving as an E drawing as well. I have found that this takes pretty much the same time to save as a pdf. Be interesting to see how that compares.
                            • saving pdf's
                              Deepak Gupta
                              Install a PDF printer and use API codes to print the drawing sheet using PDF printer.
                              • saving pdf's
                                Deepak Gupta
                                Try these codes

Sub main()

' change you pdf printer name & path here
                                '
                                Const SWPrinter As String = "\\Abc\PrimoPDF"

Dim retval As String

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swModel = swApp.ActiveDoc

If swModel Is Nothing Then MsgBox "No document loaded!", vbCritical: End

If swModel.GetType = swDocDRAWING Then

retval = swModel.PrintOut2(0, 0, 1, False, SWPrinter, 0, False, 0)

End If

End Sub
                                • saving pdf's
                                  Kevin Quigley
                                  Alternatively install the PDF print driver, choose print in SolidWorks and in the print dialogue select the PDF printer

I lost you at Sub main() Deepak