6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 11:25 AM by Kevin Pymm

Camnetics GearTrax & Solidworks

Radu Balan

Hello everybody,

Please help me with some information if you can:

I've generated in Camnetics GearTrax a working 2 piece gear assembly (1:20) with a fixed width distance between center of each gear equal with 147 mm. Then I used create in cad and it automatically draws pinion and gear, and then it creates the assembly with all the needed mates. In the assembly, if I check the distance between the axis of this 2 gears the distance is also 147 mm.

If I take a piece of material and draw at a distance of 147 mm 2 holes and then I try to mate each axis of a gear with axis of the hole I get a warning message: "The components cannot be moved to a position ....." see the attached picture

What can I do in order to solve this? Basically the plate, which is float and inserted in the assembly with working gears should position after the assembly.

I've also tried the cavity option in which I've cut the plate about the gear and pinion axle but it resulted in a 146,96 mm distance between the center of the holes in the plate. Even though Solidworks tells me I have no interference I'm reluctant in sending this file to manufacturer.

Please help

• Re: Camnetics GearTrax & Solidworks
          Dennis Dohogne

Probably the distance in the gear set is not exactly 147mm.  A difference of even 0.00000001 can cause this type of error.  If you don't want to mess with the gear distance then a simple solution would be to make one of the gears concentric to its corresponding plate hole and then use the new Misaligned Concentric Mate for the other gear/hole.  However, what's wrong with breaking/suppressing the gear distance mate and just making both gears concentric to their plate holes?

Kevin Pymm

Radu,

Is more than one of your parts fixed in your assembly? You can check this by seeing if there is an (f) in front of your part names in the tree.

Are your faces of all your parts normal to each other? i.e. are your gear faces on the same plane & is the face of the plate able to be normal to those? i.e.not restrained by any other mates?

You can check your hole centers on gears & your plate with the measure tool to make sure they are definitely the same. Can also use the same tool to see if your faces are normal to each other, it will say what the angle is if there is one.

One other thing I noticed is you are trying to use a Coincident mate for the axis & not Concentric, which seems to be greyed out, indicating it's not available for your selection. I assume because of some constraint restriction.

Are you able to upload your parts & assembly & we will be able to get a better idea of what's going on.

Jim Sculley

Radu Balan wrote:

In the assembly, if I check the distance between the axis of this 2 gears the distance is also 147 mm.

No, it isn't:

As Dennis Dohogne said, the numbers have to match to the full precision of SOLIDWORKS which is 8 decimal places.

Kevin Pymm

Radu,

If you Edit Distance2 mate you will find it's actually set to 147.00000265mm