9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 26, 2018 7:40 AM by Dan Pihlaja

    Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?

    Alex Shelton

      I need a base 0 ordinate to start at the outside of an arc. I'm able to apply this ordinate by selecting the Leaders tab and specifying "Min" under the first arc condition, however any dimensions that I then attempt to add to that ordinate are stacked ontop of eachother at the hole/arc centerline. Is there a fix for this or is it just a glitch? I'm using Solidworks 2018.

       

        • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
          Glenn Schroeder

          I'd suggest inserting a small sketch line, tangent to that radius and vertical, and then use it as your zero reference for the ordinate dimension.  You can move the line to a Layer that's turned off if you don't want it to show.

          • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
            Jim Sculley

            SPR 905092.

             

            It appear to work correctly if you place all the dimensions first, and then switch the arc condition.

            • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
              Tony Tieuli

              Alex Shelton wrote:

               

              I need a base 0 ordinate to start at the outside of an arc. I'm able to apply this ordinate by selecting the Leaders tab and specifying "Min" under the first arc condition, however any dimensions that I then attempt to add to that ordinate are stacked ontop of eachother at the hole/arc centerline. Is there a fix for this or is it just a glitch? I'm using Solidworks 2018.

               

              Maybe I'm not understanding the problem.

               

              ordinate.png

              I did the above ordinate dimension by holding down the shift key while selecting the end of the part at the "0" dimension.

              I then held down the shift key and selected each of the ends of the slots, released the key and selected the c/l of the first slot.

              As you can see, each of the ordinate dimensions was placed properly.

              I never had to go into the dimension property manager much less the leaders tab.

              Hope this helps.

                • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
                  Alex Shelton

                  Thank you. If you apply the ordinate as I described by editing the leader of the baseline this issue occurs, but if I merely hold shift as you suggest I'm not getting the same problem. Still seems like a glitch that should be fixed, but this is a suitable work around for my needs. Thanks again.

                    • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
                      Tony Tieuli

                      Alex Shelton wrote:

                       

                      Thank you. If you apply the ordinate as I described by editing the leader of the baseline this issue occurs, but if I merely hold shift as you suggest I'm not getting the same problem. Still seems like a glitch that should be fixed, but this is a suitable work around for my needs. Thanks again.

                      You're welcome.

                      I don't think that it's really a glitch because Holding the shift key to select the tangent point on an arc is standard.

                        • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
                          Alex Shelton

                          Ok, so why have the option to adjust the leader of an ordinate dimension if the subsequent leaders will improperly connect to the feature? I've heard the philosophy of making software usable without a keyboard, and maybe this is why the option exists to do it that way, but it results in bug/glitch. If this method is applied every leader connects to the center of the arc of the 0 dim regardless of what feature is selected on the part. Luckily I have a keyboard in front of me because the Shift method works wonderfully and is simpler/easier anyway.

                            • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
                              Tony Tieuli

                              Alex Shelton wrote:

                               

                              Ok, so why have the option to adjust the leader of an ordinate dimension if the subsequent leaders will improperly connect to the feature? I've heard the philosophy of making software usable without a keyboard, and maybe this is why the option exists to do it that way, but it results in bug/glitch. If this method is applied every leader connects to the center of the arc of the 0 dim regardless of what feature is selected on the part. Luckily I have a keyboard in front of me because the Shift method works wonderfully and is simpler/easier anyway.

                              To be honest I've never used the option to adjust the leader. Didn't even know about it!

                              • Re: Ordinate dimension from edge of holes/arcs glitching?
                                Dan Pihlaja

                                I have adjusted the zero point many times and I have never seen the behavior that you are reporting.   Can you create a video file showing your steps?