3 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2018 9:22 PM by Ryan Dark

Analyzing Simulation for Deformation under torque

Jake Cabrila

I am trying to figure out how to understand the results to my simulation. I applied 50nm of torque to each hole, A36 1/4 thick plate, and I am getting this deformation, the vonMises says it is going up to 2.617e008 N/m^2. How do I see what the part will look like under 50nm? (Yes I know those supports aren't "welded" they're just in place, wanted to see what it would do)

Screenshot - ac3b641ab77d386241fb971295be33fc - Gyazo

Thanks ahead of time, my first post on this forum.

• Re: Analyzing Simulation for Deformation under torque
          Ryan Dark

Hi Jake,

Given what you describe here it is still not certain what help you are looking to get from this but I will offer some advice from what I do see.

It looks like you applied fixtures and loading which gave you a stable setup and some stress results.  The stress results are fairly blotchy which would lead me to believe that your mesh is presently very coarse on the ring geometry specifically.  If you are looking to obtain more precise results for these boundary conditions you would want to apply mesh controls to the faces of your rings to decrease their mesh element size so there are two element layers radially and axially on those rings.  In this case, I am assuming the rings are your location of interest so applying mesh controls to those areas would improve the results in those areas.

To answer your direct question, if you wish to see how the rings deform you would want to turn on (or define) a displacement plot for this study in which you set the 'Deformed Shape' to "True Scale".  I expect though that the deformation would not be visible without augmented scaling.