4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2009 8:15 PM by Victor L

Fuse simulation

Victor L
      Hello everybody!

I'm trying to simulate fuse. Fuse is a piece of Al wire, surrounded with glass and a window opening above. I apply power dissipation to it and calculate time-temperature chart.

The problem is that I can't determine the point when my fuse is blown up. Any solutions on this?

Thanks in advance.
        • Fuse simulation
          Bill McEachern
          Doesn't the fuse just fail when it hits its materials melting temperature or some where close to that? If not you need to figure out the mechansim of failure and correlate it to temperature or some other sensible parameter. Or, I haven't understood what you were really asking with sufficient information about the problem.
            • Fuse simulation
              Victor L
              Unfortunately for me, it doesn't. Molten metal is still a conductor.
              Every fuse has a clearing time, i.e. time from overcurrent is applied to circuit is broken.
              Clearing time = melting time + arcing time. No need to explain what is "melting time". But what is "arcing time"? Theoretically, during this period of time metal goes to vapor phase and an arc appears. Then arc goes down and we have a broken circuit.
              And I have no idea how to deal with this.
                • Fuse simulation
                  Bill McEachern
                  It isn't within the scope of Cosmos to do this. I would do some research on the web and see if you can come uo with some sort of factor to predict the broken circuit time from the time to reach some specified temperature - like the melting temp. Good luck
                    • Fuse simulation
                      Victor L
                      I didn't even try to simulate arcing/plasma process. I also think that there is a temperature marker for broken circuit. And after my search over the web hadn't returned a result, I desided to post my problem in this forum.