8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 19, 2018 3:20 PM by Paul Salvador

How can you improve the 3D model line quality?

James Abshire

I just started using SolidWorks 2018. The lines on the 3D models don't render very well (see attachment). I adjusted the display and image quality settings in SolidWorks but it didn't make a difference. I am using a GTX 1070 in Windows 10. I also adjusted the anti-aliasing settings in the nVidia Control Panel but that didn't help either. I have been searching for a solution to this for several hours and can't find anything relevant.

• Re: How can you improve the 3D model line quality?
          Dave Laban

Is anti-aliasing enabled in SW?

Also your graphics card is unsupported for SW so this may be the first of many graphics struggles for you.

Doug Seibel

Options, Document Properties, Image Quality...

Optimize edge length

Improve curve quality at higher settings

Most likely the problem is your graphics card.  It's a gaming card, not a CAD card.  Replace it with a NVIDIA Quadro card.  Gaming cards are of little to no benefit for CAD software.  Your card is not even certified to work with Solidworks.

Gaming Cards = DirectX

Workstation Cards = OpenGL

Completely different.  Take the winning vehicle & driver from the Indy 500 and put them in the Baja 500...they will lose.  Take the winning vehicle & driver from the Baja 500 and put them in the Indy 500...they will lose.  Gaming graphics cards and workstation graphics cards are optimized for completely different graphics requirements.

James Abshire

Thanks to all for the replies. In response:

Yes, anti-aliasing is enabled.

I increased the Image Quality sliders as much as possible without going into the red and checked the optimization options but it did not help.

I confirmed my current nVidia driver supports OpenGL 4.4 and I ran the OpenGL tests with OpenGL Viewer just to confirm there are no problems. (Regardless, afterwards I checked "Use software OpenGL" in the Performance section just to try it, but that did not help either.)

It is extremely disappointing that the problem may be an incompatibility between the software and graphics card. I am using SW on my home computer so changing the video card is not an option. The GTX 1070 is rock solid with all my other graphics software, including Photoshop, Painter, AutoCAD, AutoCAD Inventor, and 3DS Max.

Kristina Smith

It's a different kind of program, so while your card may do well with stuff like Photoshop and Painter, it may not necessarily play nice with SW. While I understand the irritation (expensive card, expensive program ), does it stutter or make the program unusable in some way? It's hard to get a read on it just from a screenshot.

If it's the same thing I get when using Solidworks on my Surface Pro (also not certified for use with solidworks like yours), it only seems to happen when I rotate the camera around and at certain curved edges, but it doesn't prevent me from using the program at all.

It doesn't seem to affect rendering in something like photoview 360 or keyshot though, it's just a weird graphical quirk with your card and solidworks, so it won't hurt your ability to send/share the file or anything.

James Abshire

The program runs very smoothly and there are no quirks other than the way curved lines are rendered. I may end up installing it on my backup computer with a "certified" card, but that will be a major inconvenience.

Kristina Smith

Honestly? I wouldn't bother installing it on a secondary computer if it runs well on your primary computer. It's not like you NEED to use SW on a computer with a certified card. The certification is just a guarantee that they've tested SW on those cards and can guarantee that the program works (and looks) as intended. This particular graphical quirk is so minor and it doesn't (or shouldn't, I guess) impact your ability to view or change the model at all.

If the edge bothers you that much that it would benefit you to install it on a separate computer and mix that into your workflow then go for it. I know what may seem minor to me may be a critical flaw to you. Your brain probably blocks out things that would drive me nuts too.

Paul Salvador

Hey James,.. since 2017, the anti-aliasing within SW has changed.. it's something I see every once in a while as well using a GeForce (your driver may vary) but it does NOT effect the data/model... it's visual nuisance.