21 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2009 1:51 PM by Todd Bohlen

Drawing - Shaded views all solid color

Todd Bohlen
      Ok, so I have this assembly - structural weldment of the clients. I added a few of our proprietary components to the structure. I shaded the existing structure white for one half and gray for the other half. I shaded our components yellow, blue, and red. I save. All is good.

Open the drawing - the views of the model - shaded view - are solid red! Everything is solid red. So I go back to the model - it is also solid red, top to bottom. I click each item in the tree one time and as I do thie the pieces all go back to the shading I had picked (appearance - just the basic one - don't have photoworks loaded). Go back to the drawing and it updates and is now shaded the way I wanted it. Save, print, save, close.

Reboot (you know, memory issues).

Open model. Good shading. Open drawing. It's freaking solid YELLOW now! I go back to the model and it is also SOLID yellow. Rebuild sometimes gets the MODEL to fix itself (note the "sometimes") but no matter what when I go back the drawing all my views are SOLID FREAKING YELLOW.

This is a concept drawing for the client, so I need to show this thing shaded the way I shaded it in the model. Why is the stupid drawing picking a solid color, and why is the drawing overriding the model settings in both the drawing and the model?

Thanks for any ideas you might have!

• Drawing - Shaded views all solid color
          John Summers
          Solidworks does have some confirmed issues with colors- we have the same issues. Note that if you create custom colors in the document template for features, SW ignores them EXCEPT for exporting to eDrawings- then they show up. We are constantly fighting the color issues.

Here are the SPRs on color issues:

443870 Colors of features in display pane of the FM are incorrect, cut features don't show colors correctly. Under review (Future release) High SolidWorks

468120 Cannot change color of new and existing features in Document Properties Open High SolidWorks
              Todd Bohlen
              Thanks for the info, John!

What really gets me is that I had it working - I was able to get MY shaded parts to show up in the drawing with the proper shading - I printed a couple even. Then I made some changes and now I can't get it to work.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, it was working when I only had 1 sheet in the drawing - I now have 2 sheets...but by "working" I meant I still had to go back to the model to force it back to MY shading, then go back the drawing to get it to update from a solid color...

Anyone have a workaround?
                  Todd Bohlen
                  Update!!

Learned something new during my tribulations....

The assembly I'm working on is a concept drawing for a client. We're adding our components to their existing assembly, and we have 2 different options for placing our components. Originally I was just using the "HIDE/SHOW" part of the properties box for each view to hide or show the items for each option.

This seems to be causing my shading problem!!! As soon as I hid the items in 1 view, all views shaded solid yellow. I would toggle back to the model and it was all yellow. A ctrl Q rebuild brought the model back to proper colors, and toggling back the drawing - well, still yellow. Go back to the properties and clear everything from the HIDE tab, go back to the model (again yellow) do another ctrl Q rebuild to get the model the right colors, then back to the model and all is happy.

There are two schools of thought - if it doesn't work, try, try again. For most things I'm not in that school. I'm more in the "If it doesn't work, try something different" school. So I tried something different.

I went back to the model and created 2 configurations and went back to my drawing, adjusted all the views to point to the configuration I wanted for each option and all is happy.

Now....why does the HIDE tab turn the all of my views solid yellow? I'm wondering if this can be traced by to a particular part file with a certain setting and this one particular part is causing the issues. No, I don't know which part, and I'm probably not going to look, but it's just a thought...

Anyone else have any ideas on this?

Thanks!
                      Todd Bohlen
                      Update 2...

Ok, so I had SOME success yesterday - today when I opened it I did the following

Opened model, fully resolved, NOT large assembly mode. It's shaded nicely.
                      Opened drawing - all views shaded solid yellow.

I need this drawing for a quote package on a deal worth several million dollars - I can't send them a yellow drawing.

Is it possible that a single part in one of the subassemblies has a property of some sort attached that is overriding everything else? When I switch the views from 'shaded' to the one with hidden lines removed, there are some components that are still shaded, even when I'm in a simple line view.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

EDIT:
                      First pic is Assembly screen capture
                      Second pick is Drawing screen capture
                      Third pic is drawing screen capture in "line" view instead of shaded - note the yellow frame - but don't get caught up in the color - the drawings orginally were shading solid RED, but now are shading solid yellow....
                          Don Vanzile
                          The colors in 2009 have been working abnormally and it has been very frustrating for us. The workaround is to not care and go about your day.

The above is how your supposed to be and put it as diplomatic as possible. What I really want to say is that the colors are F*CKED UP and I wish it would finally get fixed so I can go on designing and working on things that matter.

By the way, we had an assembly turn all blue so we seem to be getting almost all the colors hit with this thread. I did get it to go back by opening the assembly model and crtl-q' n about 78 times. It should work after that.

Anyways, I gave up on caring about colors now because now I have to figure out why a coworkers design tables aren't behaving correctly in their assembly. (They are F*CKED UP TOO!)

Don
                            John Summers
                            Hi Todd,

I wish I could help with your drawing color issues but I have spent considerable time trying to find a solution to similar SW color issues to no avail. In my testing over the various service packs, the problems are very random; I was never able to come up with effective solutions . I have seen entire parts change color when only one feature is colored, parts don't go transparent when they should and have even seen parts go completely black for no apparent reason.

Sorry I can't be of more help- I feel your pain!
                                Todd Bohlen
                                Thanks for the moral support John & Don!!

I think we all feel pain - I think I'll feel it more directly really soon if I can't get a solution to this today...

This WAS working yesterday - I made a hard copy print of it for the engineer (project manager) and now that it's "approved" I need to make a PDF...

I edited my last post above with pictures.

Thanks again!
                          John Summers
                          Update- SW did send me a confirmation that the SPR has been addressed:

Dear John,

The following SPR (SolidWorks Performance Report) status has changed to Implemented.

SR# (Service Request): 1-1068680915
                          SPR#: 443870
                          Description: Colors of features in display pane of the FM are incorrect, cut features don't show colors correctly.

For more information, visit the SolidWorks Customer Portal and select My SPRs.

Best Regards,

Dassault Systèmes SolidWorks Corp. Technical Support

My VAR also called me to let me know that it is fixed in SP3.0. The ironic thing is that they sent this to me on 2-12-2009 and who knows when SP3.0 will be available??? We have been dealing with these color issues since 2008 came out. Hopefully, it will be fixed this time- we will see...........
                              Todd Bohlen
                              What's even better is that my company didn't renew subscription. We got 2009 before subscription ran out - I mean we got 2009 with bugs before subscription ran out.

As far as I can tell we can't get our bugs fixed because PATCHES are part of the subscription. I don't think ANY company does that...SW leads the way negatively again!
                            Kelvin Lamport
                            Disable the PhotoWorks add-in.

Disable Real View.

Clear all overides in the assy FM.

If the above don't help, re-install latest SW approved video driver. (delete/uninstall existing one and reboot first)
                            If that doesn't help try the latest one from nVidia.

If none of those help ... buy some crayons. )
                                Todd Bohlen

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

Disable the PhotoWorks add-in.

Disable Real View.

Clear all overides in the assy FM.

If the above don't help, re-install latest SW approved video driver. (delete/uninstall existing one and reboot first)

If that doesn't help try the latest one from nVidia.

If none of those help ... buy some crayons. )

Thanks for the info!

I don't have photoworks added in. I did clear all the overrides, except for a specific component that is hidden (the component that our stuff is replacing). I have a new driver, and I can SOMETIMES make this thing work correctly.

And I do keep a box of crayons on my desk, so I'm good to go there!! (Used to work with an IT guy that like to call the drafters the kindergarten class and suggest that all we did was color pictures all day. So I brought in a box of crayons.)

Oh, crap....Sitting in front of me on my monitor stand is an actual, real Easy Button. Let me hit that and try it again!!!!

Thanks again.
                                  John Summers
                                  Hi Kelvin,

Like I mentioned in my above post, SW is aware of the issues- one SPR says they will fix it in the next release. :-( .

I have done all that you mention and then some; nothing seems to work. BTW, our IT department frowns on crayon marks (and white-out) on the monitors!
                                  Kelvin Lamport
                                  Just noticed your signature specs.
                                  I doubt if it will help, but can you update to SP5?
                                      Todd Bohlen

Kelvin Lamport wrote:

Just noticed your signature specs.

I doubt if it will help, but can you update to SP5?

Eeek

Forgot to update my sig specs - I'm on 2009 SP 2
                                          Don Vanzile

Hey Todd, make sure your not overiding the display state in the display pane. Make sure it's set to 'Default Display' for that part or sub-assembly.

Just another thought...
                                          Don
                                              Todd Bohlen
                                              Thanks Don - on your advice I went through that again - I opened every single part of every assembly that is mine (the red, blue, and yellow items in the first pic above) and for every single part I went to "Appearance" and I selected "Remove Appearance".

This fixed the problem in the third picture - line views are all black again!!

But the shaded views are still all yellow...

Oh, and the Easy Button didn't do the trick.

EDIT - one behavior that's different today is that when I ctrl-tab from the drawing to the assembly model, the model is NO LONGER coming up all yellow - the model is retaining its shading. This is different from yesterday. I wonder if that means I'm getting closer to a fix??

EDIT 2 - Ok!!! Making GOOD progress. Almost there! In the assembly, I MOVED a component - I have a couple that are not fully mated and have some freedom of movement. I then did a ctrl Q rebuild and then ctrl tab over to the drawing. The views were shaded properly!

However, ONLY SHEET 1 UPDATED - this was the active sheet when I tabbed over. So I set sheet 2 active, went back to the model, moved the component again, rebuild, tab back to the drawing and sheet 2 updated! Good progress! But sheet 3 is a problem.

Sheet 3 has 2 front views - this layout has 2 "options" that we're showing the client, so I have 2 full views of the assembly, one for each option. On each full view I pull out an enlarged detail view. In each detail view, I then cut a section out. Everything on sheet 3 updated EXCEPT THE SECTIONS. Can't seem to force them to update.

My take on the situation? When we're tabbing over to the drawing, the drawing isn't FULLY reading the assembly - it's not rebuilding the views properly UNTIL SOMETHING MOVES in the assembly.

Now, any ideas on why moving something forces rebuilds on only the active sheet? Or why it will force the rebuilds (or redraw?) on the full view and the detail view, but NOT the section view?
                                          Kelvin Lamport
                                          Todd,
                                          SP2.1 is supposed to address the "non-updating" views problem.
                                          For the section views, you could probably have just edited the section line to brute-force a rebuild.

John,
                                          I had noted the SPR's in your first post, but not everyone has the same problem. I know it was a long shot but thought it was worth trying the suggestions anyway.
                                          BTW, don't your IT people supply you with clip-on glass scribble-sheets for your monitor? }
                                            Kelvin Lamport

I am holding out for the monitor add-in with the dual knobs and erases when you shake it!

Oh, you mean AutoCAD?

(Think I'll go hide now)