5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 11:07 AM by Wing Hoe Tan

Managing Assembly versions

Lior Kamitchi Rimon

Hello

I'm designing a mechanism which includes 15-20 parts.

At one point I wanted to make a version of the assembly which is all the same but different in one part.

So I "saved as" the assmebly under a new name and changed that specific part with "edit part". Problem is that the original assembly used that part also so I as I saved the second version, I lost the original part...

Questions:

1. Is there any way to restore the part I lost?

2. What is the best way to work with Solidworks versions of assemblies, as I described?

Thanks a lot!

Lior

• Re: Managing Assembly versions
          Wing Hoe Tan

Hi Lior

I am not sure how you can restore the original part. It looks like you have overwritten the original already. But I do have some advice on how you should have handled your case.

The best way is to create a new configuration of the part in question with the changes. Then at the assembly level, create a new configuration of the assembly that uses the part in that new configuration. Hope I am making sense here.

Also, if you really want to create a copy of an assembly, do use "save as copy". It would also be good to add a prefix or suffix to the child parts. "Save as Copy" will create true copies without referencing the original models.

Jim Sculley

Lior Kamitchi Rimon wrote:

Hello

I'm designing a mechanism which includes 15-20 parts.

At one point I wanted to make a version of the assembly which is all the same but different in one part.

So I "saved as" the assmebly under a new name and changed that specific part with "edit part". Problem is that the original assembly used that part also so I as I saved the second version, I lost the original part...

Questions:

1. Is there any way to restore the part I lost?

Probably not.

2. What is the best way to work with Solidworks versions of assemblies, as I described?

If you aren't using PDM, there are two easy options:

1.   Use Pack and Go to copy the assembly and all parts (or just the part(s) you want to change) to a new location.  Use a prefix or suffix to ensure you don't have any files with the same name.
            2. Save the assembly as a new file, just as you did before.  Instead of using 'Edit Part', right click on the part in the feature tree and select 'Make Virtual'.  Edit the virtual part and when you are done you can right click on it in the feature tree and 'Save Part in External File', giving it a new name.  If you decide to get rid of your changes, just use 'Replace Component' to restore the original.

I prefer method 2 because it only generates copies of the files I make changes to.  Sometime I don't know which files will be affected when I start, so using method 1 would require that I copy *all* the files.

Wing Hoe Tan

The "make independent" tool is actually perfect for what is described in method 2. It creates a copy, breaks the link to the original and prompts you to save as a new name in one fell swoop. Not to mention that the mates will still be in place.

One of the unsung heroes in Solidworks assembly.

Sebastyon Champion

You can also use layers, basically save the assembly before you put the part that changes, then use that assembly as a "part" in a new assembly with the interchangable part.