27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2018 3:11 AM by Federico Borghi

API/Macro for updating a BOM

Erik Rotolo

You have an asm file that has a few configuration and you make a drawing with a drawing view showing config1 of the asm and you insert a BOM referencing config1, everything is good.

You then change the config in the drawing view to config2, but the BOM doesn't update to match.

This is annoying, so you have to select the BOM and match the config that is in the drawing view.  This is OK if its a small list of configs, but is terrible if you have a large amount of asm configs.

Other method of updating BOM after changing configs of asm in drawing view, is to delete the BOM and reinsert the BOM, this also is not the best solution.

I have looked into if you can always keep the BOM linked to the drawing view, but have found that this is not possible.

So, does any one already have a solution to this using a macro?

Or can someone make a macro to do this?

The macro should look to see if there is already a BOM and if it sees there is one, then delete it and insert new BOM based on drawing view specified in sheet properties.  If no BOM is present then create one BOM based on drawing view specified in sheet properties.

In the macro you would need to specify where and what BOM template to use and also to be able to  pick Top Asm BOM or Part BOM or Indented BOM.

But not have the selection as a user inputs every time you run it, just as code line in the body of the macro, that could be edited later if things change.

Thanks in advanced to everyone that shares on this forum.  All you contributors are amazing.

• Re: API/Macro for updating a BOM
          Elmar Klammer

Hi Erik,

Goto Find which view is bringing custom property values that will give you the view specified in the drawing document settings.

Then run a loop to get the configuration name of the referenced component and use it to set it as the BOM configuration value. Or use "Default" in your case.

set View = Drawingdoc.getfirstview

set View = View.Getnextview

If view = "Name of drawing doc view"

debug.print view.referencedconfiguration

Elmar

Erik Rotolo

Thanks for the response, I want to use the the view specified in the drawing document settings and not "Default"

So, how would you put the code together?  I don't know what to do with this code you have provided...i'm still a newbie

Deepak Gupta

Erik Rotolo wrote:

Thanks for the response, I want to use the the view specified in the drawing document settings and not "Default"

So, how would you put the code together?

The macro Artem should work with BOMs already there in the drawing and they would change to the model configuration based on the view specified in the sheet.

I don't know what to do with this code you have provided...i'm still a newbie

Copy and paste the codes from that macro into a new macro. Open a drawing with some sheets. BOM(s) and views. Change the model configuration referenced by the BOM to a different one. And now run the macro and check if sheet view config and BOM config matches for each sheet or not.

Deepak Gupta

You need to make sure that there is a BOM table on the drawing. Check attached video showing that macro works as expected.

Erik Rotolo

the macro is working for part level BOM and indented BOM but when i select Top Level BOM  and run the macro it deletes the QTY column, and doesnt change the BOM config to match the View used for drawing properties

Deepak Gupta

The video I have posted above is showing BOM as top level BOM. So something not correct on your end as macro doesn't have lines/codes to delete the column.

Can you share some test files having the issue you're stating.

Erik Rotolo

please see attached files

Erik Rotolo

I think the error of deleting QTY column has to do with the "Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration"...

Sorry, Its not an error nor is it really deleting.  It's disappearing, because there are no config check boxes that are checked, so no qty column results.  "Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration" option results in the BOM config selection to change to a drop down list, just like in the indent BOM or part BOM selection is done.

So does the code need to be a little different to fix this?????

"Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration" checked

"Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration" unchecked

Erik Rotolo

Deepak Gupta is there a fix for my situation regarding "Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration" checked and this BOM macro?

Deepak Gupta

Erik, I've not got the chance to check this out (had been occupied with some personal stuff). Will try to peek in tomorrow night.

Deepak Gupta

Erik/ Grant, add these two line at the specified location/position and check. I had tested it out and it seems to be working.

Erik Rotolo

This does make the macro work, but the QTY column is being renamed, so this defeats the purpose of checking "Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration" , I want to use this option so the QTY column doesn't rename to the "configured name"/QTY. , when the BOM table changes. 

Is there another way to make this work?

I really appreciate your time, I don't mean to be difficult. 

Deepak Gupta

The only way I can think is to run another code of lines to reset the column heading to QTY.

Erik Rotolo

what lines would need to be added for renaming to "QTY"  (not "QTY.")?

Thanks

Deepak Gupta

Look for SetColumnTitle method.

Deepak Gupta

Add these lines 

Dim SwBOMTab As BomTableAnnotation

Dim SwTabAnn As TableAnnotation

Dim k As Integer

Dim ColumnTitle As String

Set SwBOMTab = SwBOMFeat.GetTableAnnotations(0)

Set SwTabAnn = SwBOMTab

For k = 0 To SwTabAnn.ColumnCount - 1

ColumnTitle = SwTabAnn.GetColumnTitle2(k, False)

If UCase(ColumnTitle) Like "*QTY*" Then

SwTabAnn.SetColumnTitle2 k, "QTY", False

End If

Next k

below this line

SwBOMFeat.SetConfigurations False, vConfVis, vConfNames

in the ProcessView sub.

Federico Borghi

Hi Deepak Gupta and thanks for your macro!

In my case the Column "QTY" was called as "configuration name/Qty", so I added the tic in the box "Do not add QTY to the configuration name" and changed your code as follows

ColumnTitle = SwTabAnn.GetColumnTitle2(k, False)

If UCase(ColumnTitle) Like swView.ReferencedConfiguration Then

SwTabAnn.SetColumnTitle2 k, "Q.tà", False

End If

Next k

Next

End If

Since I'm not using the standard font of the drawing for the first raw of the BOM the new text is not formatted as others (Verdana, 2.5mm, bold), there is any way to set it? I checked into SolidWorks library without any result.

In add I would love to be able to:

• Rename all the BOM of a drawing as ("Dinstinta " + SheetName) (who's set as configuration name by another macro that I already have)
                                                                  • Export all the BOM of a drawing in txt format as with right click "save as/.txt", calling it as SheetName.txt
                                                                  • link every view of a sheet to the BOM related to the sheet (SheetName=Distinta SheetName=active configuration) - This because if I copy a drawing to make the drawing of a different configuration the upper macro doesn't work as view is not connected to the right BOM but to the old one, I don't know if it can be done in a better way-
                                                                  • Set all the view of a sheet to point at  the same configuration (sometimes I have 6 views in a sheet and I manually set them to another configuration)

Is that all possible?

In the case you'll be too busy to write the code I can try to make it but I would need the command as for example "swSheet.SetName" to rename the configuration since I can't found them :/

Deepak Gupta

Federico Borghi wrote:

Since I'm not using the standard font of the drawing for the first raw of the BOM the new text is not formatted as others (Verdana, 2.5mm, bold), there is any way to set it? I checked into SolidWorks library without any result.

Not in front of SW, so will check and let you know.

Rename all the BOM of a drawing as ("Dinstinta " + SheetName) (who's set as configuration name by another macro that I already have)

link every view of a sheet to the BOM related to the sheet (SheetName=Distinta SheetName=active configuration) - This because if I copy a drawing to make the drawing of a different configuration the upper macro doesn't work as view is not connected to the right BOM but to the old one, I don't know if it can be done in a better way-

You'll have to obtain the feature object and BOM on each sheet and rename the feature. Refer to the macro in this post:Macro To link all views to BOM on Sheet 1

Export all the BOM of a drawing in txt format as with right click "save as/.txt", calling it as SheetName.txt

Macro to export BOM into an Excel file

Set all the view of a sheet to point at the same configuration (sometimes I have 6 views in a sheet and I manually set them to another configuration)

Drawing API Change all view configurations

Erik Rotolo

The code from that link is not working, if no BOM is present, it doesnt insert one, if there is a BOM present it just deletes the QTY column, and doesnt change the BOM config to match the View used for drawing properties.

Is this not current code for SW2017?  Is there something not quite right?

Dim swApp As SldWorks.SldWorks

Dim swDraw As SldWorks.DrawingDoc

Sub main()

Set swApp = Application.SldWorks

Set swDraw = swApp.ActiveDoc

Dim vSheetNames As Variant

vSheetNames = swDraw.GetSheetNames

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(vSheetNames)

Dim swSheet As SldWorks.Sheet

Set swSheet = swDraw.Sheet(vSheetNames(i))

Dim swView As SldWorks.View

Set swView = GetPropertiesView(swSheet)

Dim vBomFeatures As Variant

vBomFeatures = GetBomFeatures(swSheet)

ProcessView swView, vBomFeatures

Next

End Sub

Sub ProcessView(swView As SldWorks.View, vBomFeatures As Variant)

If Not IsEmpty(vBomFeatures) Then

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(vBomFeatures)

Dim swBomFeat As SldWorks.BomFeature

Set swBomFeat = vBomFeatures(i)

Dim vConfVis As Variant

Dim vConfNames As Variant

vConfNames = swBomFeat.GetConfigurations(False, vConfVis)

Dim visConfIndex As Integer

Dim j As Integer

For j = 0 To UBound(vConfNames)

vConfVis(j) = UCase(vConfNames(j)) = UCase(swView.ReferencedConfiguration)

Next

swBomFeat.SetConfigurations False, vConfVis, vConfNames

Next

End If

End Sub

Function GetBomFeatures(swSheet As SldWorks.Sheet) As Variant

Dim vSheets As Variant

vSheets = swDraw.GetViews()

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(vSheets)

Dim vViews As Variant

vViews = vSheets(i)

Dim swSheetView As SldWorks.View

Set swSheetView = vViews(0)

If UCase(swSheetView.Name) = UCase(swSheet.GetName()) Then

Dim swBomFeatures() As SldWorks.BomFeature

Dim vTables As Variant

vTables = swSheetView.GetTableAnnotations()

Dim j As Integer

Dim isArrInit As Boolean

For j = 0 To UBound(vTables)

Dim swTableAnn As SldWorks.TableAnnotation

Set swTableAnn = vTables(j)

If swTableAnn.Type = swTableAnnotationType_e.swTableAnnotation_BillOfMaterials Then

If False = isArrInit Then

isArrInit = True

ReDim swBomFeatures(0)

Else

ReDim Preserve swBomFeatures(UBound(swBomFeatures) + 1)

End If

Dim swBomTableAnn As SldWorks.BomTableAnnotation

Set swBomTableAnn = swTableAnn

Set swBomFeatures(UBound(swBomFeatures)) = swBomTableAnn.BomFeature

End If

Next

GetBomFeatures = swBomFeatures

Exit Function

End If

Next

End Function

Function GetPropertiesView(swSheet As SldWorks.Sheet) As SldWorks.View

Dim vViews As Variant

vViews = swSheet.GetViews

If Not IsEmpty(vViews) Then

Dim i As Integer

For i = 0 To UBound(vViews)

Dim swView As SldWorks.View

Set swView = vViews(i)

If UCase(swView.Name) = UCase(swSheet.CustomPropertyView) Then

Set GetPropertiesView = swView

Exit Function

End If

Next

Set GetPropertiesView = vViews(0) 'use first one

End If

End Function

Erik Rotolo

Artem Taturevych is there a fix for my situation regarding "Restrict top-level only BOMs to one configuration" checked and this BOM macro?

Grant Kirkland

I'm having the same issue. If "Restrict top-level..." is selected my QTY column is deleted.

EDIT: This line placed in the beginning of the code turns of "restrict top-level only" which solves the problem:

boolstatus = swDraw.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swOneConfigOnlyTopLevelBom, 0, False)

However, if I put

boolstatus = swDraw.Extension.SetUserPreferenceToggle(swUserPreferenceToggle_e.swOneConfigOnlyTopLevelBom, 0, True)

at the end of the code all BOMs are then relinked to the BOM referenced by the active view. I don't know how to fix that.

Artem Taturevych

Hi Erik,

I can confirm the behavior and looks like this is a bug. I have tried to find the workaround - with no success for now. I will try to research a bit more.

Thanks,

Artem