4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 2, 2018 9:44 PM by Monster Jesse

SolidWorks 2016 Student Edition chash when is loading task pane

Fernando Pizarro Martínez

Hello everyone.

I have been using this Solidworks version during two years without a problem until today, when it begins to crash on startup (just when it is "loading task panes"). I don't really know why Solidworks is crashing. I didn't do any change in my computer neither SolidWorks config.

I tried to repair and to reinstall but nothing changes. It continues crashing just like the first time.

Anyone know any solution to fulfill this problem? I use Solidworks everyday because of my job. I really need it.

Thank you so much for all your support.

• Re: SolidWorks 2016 Student Edition chash when is loading task pane
          John Sweeney

Hi Fernando,

Were any automatic updates taken for the operating system?  If there are definately no other changes to rollback, you could try manually resetting your SolidWorks registry. 

You can really mess up your machine if you do this wrong.  If you're not comfortable working in the registry then I'd suggest working with the IT department at your school.

First, close all running sessions of SolidWorks because these will write to the registry when closing.  Now open the registry editor by running "regedit" command.  Expand the "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SolidWorks" folder.  In this folder you should see the "SolidWorks 2016" folder.  Click the "SolidWorks 2016" folder and then select the Edit-Rename menu item and append something to the folder name (i.e. "SolidWorks 2016Backup").

Restart SolidWorks and the registry key you just renamed will be recreated based on the "out of the box" settings stored in the HKLM key.

Let us know if this resolves the issue.

Best Regards,

John

Marc Wilson

I bet John's suggestion won't work as it did not here.

Same problem, different circumstances.

BRAND NEW windows 10 pro (literally only a few days old)

BRAND NEW SW2018sp2x64  installation and the problem was present on first run...

Stops at loading task panes every time...

using SWrx with software openGL, or the other option, did not work. 

Adam Hartles

Hi Everyone, I work for a VAR and our customer just had this (Windows 10 with SW 2017). The solution that worked for me was to get the SolidWorks Prerequisites from the DVD or a download and re-run all of the C++ Redistributable files to repair (6 in total)- the files in these folders. Reboot and then the software loaded:

i opted for these as the SW Journal file mentioned an error with MSVCR. Note none of the crashes appear to show in the Windows Event Viewer.

Hope this helps here

Adam