5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 15, 2018 3:02 PM by Evan Stanek

Request: Tips/Best Practices for SWE

Carl Gutierrez

I'd really appreciate any tips and advice that the community could give to a new user like myself.  I'm new to both Solidworks and Solidworks Electrical as well as ECAD.  Most of my career was spent on the MCAD side using Pro-E/Creo.  When I was presented with a opportunity to learn Solidworks and SWE I gladly accepted.

Image result for challenge accepted

I am trying to learn SWE so that I can bridge that gap between the MCAD and ECAD worlds.  Any help to help me climb that learning curve would be great.

If there is anyone that has questions about Creo feel free to PM me or mention me and I'll do my best to answer.

Here are a few FAQ's for Creo to get them out of the way...keep in mind these are based on my opinions

1. Why is Creo so hard to use? - It was created before UI/UX was even a thing.  They seemed to keep everything the same and just put a fresh face on it...even with the rebranding from Pro-E to Creo.  The sequence of events is pretty much the same once you found the icon to launch the comand.
      2. Does it ever get easier? - While there is no logic or easy to follow sequence for most of the commands, like with anything, the more you use them you eventually get used to it.  It will never be as user friendly or easy to use as Solidworks or Inventor.  Sorry guys...
      3. Seriously, why is it so hard to use? - See answer for Question 1
      4. Did you ever want to throw your computer out the window when using Pro-E/Creo? - Yes, several times.  Before it was Creo, when Pro-E would crash it would just disappear.  You'd be concentrating on something for hours, forgetting to save, and then at a crucial time the software would just be gone and you'd be staring at your Windows desktop.  It would leave many people scratching their heads wondering what happened.

That should cover the most asked questions when someone first learns Creo.  If you are starting to learn Creo let me just say - I feel your pain.  It isn't the easiest software to use but it is very powerful in its own right.

• Re: Request: Tips/Best Practices for SWE
          Alejandro Suárez

I've done drawings by hand, AutoCAD (without Electrical features), and EPLAN. I like Solidworks Electrical the best.

The best way to learn how to use is, well, by using it and trying out things. Having said that, there are many paths you can take to achieve something and for the most part they will work. However, the best thing to do is to understand how all the parts work together to make a great package. One resource I've found helpful to get a glimpse at what the software can do is JP Emanuele's Brewing with Electricity series: John Emanuele

A couple of tips:

• One component has multiple symbols that are for multiple representations across multiple domains [electrical symbol (contacts, coil), MCAD model, pneumatic symbol (electrical solenoid and pneumatic valve), etc]
          • I've created my own library of symbols with the correct pitch (grid size of 5mm)
          • I've created my own title block
          • I've created my own PLC configuration and modified the symbols to match our PLC manufacturer
          • Make the manufacturer part data and then the symbol. You can transfer circuits from mfg to symbol but no the other way around
          • Make manufacturer parts for accessories and add multiple manufacturer parts to a single component
          • The time spent making things right from the beginning will vastly pay off in the end.

• Re: Request: Tips/Best Practices for SWE
            Evan Stanek

1) Agreed with the "just start using it" angle, engineers don't like risks so it feels risky, but be willing to try things out and see how it turns out, I see a lot of users who get paralysis analysis, this is a case where you need to just start doing.

2)  As you figure things out, take the time to build up as much as you can up front, it will save you time in the end.  Get your symbols created, your parts created, sorted into libraries or properly classes,  set up your "favorite" symbol tabs on the right, Macros in place, configurations, project settings, and have all of that as a template.  Everything you can have laid out makes your drawings go so much faster.

3)  When in doubt, right click.

4)  Understand COMPONENTS, they are really the key to how the software is constructed.