6 Replies Latest reply on Mar 13, 2018 9:54 AM by Glenn Schroeder

BOM having 2 separate one for components and one for fasteners

Jim Moses

Hi,

We have a customer that does not want fasteners on their BOM's and been trying to figure out a clever way to accomplish this vs 2 different drawing, one internally for us to make and order from and the other to the customer spec.

Is there a way to have 2 BOM's but unsure how I could separate the 2 items?

or put part of a BOM/balloons on a separate layers so I could hid it?

Any suggestions or has anyone had this issue and how did you deal with it

Thanks in advance,

• Re: BOM having 2 separate one for components and one for fasteners
          Glenn Schroeder

Couldn't you just sort the BOM so all the fasteners are at the bottom, then split the table?

Matt Peneguy

Just off the top of my head, I think you could do it with Configurations.  How complex is your assembly?  If it is only say 50 or 100 parts, it may be not too difficult to put all those fasteners in a folder and select all of them and add them to a folder:

Then you'd create a Config called "Parts Only" and another "Fasteners Only", and in the "Parts Only" Config, select all the fasteners and exclude them from the BOM in the "Parts Only" config only and vice versa for the "Fasteners Only" config.  Add both ASMs to the sheet off the viewable, printable area and generate the BOM.

I'm not saying this is the best or only way, but a way I have done it in the past.  Sometimes you just have to get it done.

Now, if you are planning a new project and want to start at the ground level with this in mind, you may be able to come up with a workflow to accommodate this requirement.  For instance, if you created a separate assembly containing only the fasteners driven by a Master Sketch Part.  This same Master Sketch Part could also drive your parts.  That's just one thought.

Brad Meador

I would second Matt Peneguy on this.  Create a configuration with the hardware excluded from BOM and place the configuration and second BOM on a separate page for the customer.

Jim Moses

Hi,

I have done the whole additional configuration that the fasteners are on the BOM all others they are not, but I will still have to swap configurations before I send it to my customer, just seems like there should be a easier way to do this, maybe the whole split table idea may work, I will have to see in a few weeks once I get to detailing, I just want to attempt to get things inline for the best method that causes the least amount of headaches

Thanks again for the ideas much appreciated will post what works out the best for my case or if someone else has a way/workflow that works for them please post it as one or more may have an advantage for my case

Regards,