16 Replies Latest reply on Apr 18, 2018 4:10 PM by Paul Wyndham

PDM licenses - watch out for this gotcha

Eric Snyder

All -

Just a warning. I have been looking at PDM for a couple of years. This was to reduce crashing. I was testing on a single machine and while I was not sure that it would help the crashing issue it seems like a good idea for other reasons.

Over the course of the two years I specifically asked tech support if there was a limitation on the number of people that could access the vault. I was told that I could install vault views on as many machines as I wanted. Turns out that while being technically true it is not the full truth. The full truth is that a user needs a license to access the vault. You will be limited by the number of PDM licenses you have. If you only have two licenses for Solidworks Professional you will only be allowed two logged in users in the vault at any one time.

Tech support gave a couple of suggestions like working offline (saves a local, non checked out copy) and some kind of saving of a PDF. Neither of these are good options.

I really feel like I was lied to...

• Re: PDM licenses - watch out for this gotcha
          Janet Coleman

This was a question I wondered about also. I wonder if the pdf vault can be accessed by everyone though? Without a license. I believe when a drawing is checked back in and is approved, a pdf can be generated (to a new vault?) I hope someone can answer this. I'm also looking at using pdm and am trying to get all the information I can.

Jim Steinmeyer

I can not answer for standard but; when I was working with Enterprise which is now PDM Pro the PDFs were saved to a folder outside f the vault.

Another gotcha that we learned with our exploratory support tech call is; that while if you have 2 seats of SW Pro you technically have 2 seats of PDM Standard, you have to have SW Pro active on your machine to access PDM. Our plan; with 2 SW Pro and 4 SW Std seats had been to open PDM do your business and close PDM leaving it available for someone else which should seldom be a problem. Now we learn that we will have to leave a seat of SW Pro unused and available as well so a person can open SW Pro, open PDM, do your business then close both so the next person can use it. More of a problem, leaving your most expensive SW seat sitting idle.

Jeff Niederman

Hi Jim,

This would be true for other SOLIDWORKS Professional Add-ins.  For example, if someone adds in Toolbox, they're going to hang onto the Pro license until Toolbox and all other add-ins entitled by Pro are closed.  This was also true of Workgroup PDM.

This is not the case for PDM Standard.  The PDM Standard licenses are bonus licenses granted to you as Pro customer and not technically under the same license.  If you access the SolidNetWork License Manager, you should see SW Pro licenses AND PDM Standard Licenses and they can move independently.

Jeff

Jim Steinmeyer

Jeff Niederman wrote:

Hi Jim,

This would be true for other SOLIDWORKS Professional Add-ins. For example, if someone adds in Toolbox, they're going to hang onto the Pro license until Toolbox and all other add-ins entitled by Pro are closed. This was also true of Workgroup PDM.

This is not the case for PDM Standard. The PDM Standard licenses are bonus licenses granted to you as Pro customer and not technically under the same license. If you access the SolidNetWork License Manager, you should see SW Pro licenses AND PDM Standard Licenses and they can move independently.

Jeff

Jeff Niederman

This is great news, My understanding originally had been like you describe and so I quizzed the VAR about it and He was explicit that we would need to do as I outlined above. He said that the SW Pro license needed to be active on a machine for the PDM Standard license to be available. So even if we had 2 PDM licenses available someone with an active seat of SW Standard would not be able to login to the vault unless they activated one of the SW Pro seats first.

If we don't, that will be a huge roadblock out of the way.

Thank you for your information.

Tom Cote

Jim S.

PDM Standard added PDF capability in 2018 but it cannot save PDF's outside of the vault

Most of our customers especially for PDM Standard use Flatter Files (www.flatterfiles.com) as an alternative to using the PDF's inside of the vault.  Cheaper than buying viewer license, more users can be allowed to access the files, faster, easier and MUCH more powerful.

Eric Snyder

I also just found out that when you quit Solidworks it does not release the PDM standard license. The ONLY way to release a PDM license is to manually log out when you are done with Solidworks.

S. Casale

Since Day 1, no misinterpretations:. I have always been instructed by my VAR that in order to access the vault, one must have a CAD Editor, Contributing Viewer, or Viewer license. These keys can float on a network. If one does not have a license or one available, then the vault is inaccessible.

Eric Snyder

Yeah...what happened is I asked the tech staff if I could get into the vault without restrictions. The answer was "Yeah, you could INSTALL on any machine." The truth but not the full answer. My VAR sales people said that I should verify any answer I get from the tech staff with them. Ridiculous...I am to verify every answer tech give to make sure that doing it how tech suggests won't cost more?

Paul Wyndham

I just have my TIMEOUTALL set to 20 minutes and never have issues. We have a lot of users and licenses. Have noticed that as the number of licenses goes up the licenses per user ratio goes down. Great justification for reducing the number of license servers within a company any time possible.

Also remember about SWPDM licenses they are managed through the vault and not directly to SNL. When a user logs into the vault the database sends the request to SNL to pull a license for that user. If your SWPDM usernames are different than the Active Directory name the user will show up twice: once for SolidWorks with the Active Directory username and once with the SWPDM username. I can easily look up AD usernames but not so easily the SWPDM names, so I create all vaults using AD and automatic login whenever possible.