2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2018 7:25 AM by Jim Wilkinson

unable to delete anything from the feature tree

Steven Marriott

no external references exist, when I right click and select delete nothing happens !! please help I have to press escape to continue to work, and the item has not been deleted.

• Re: unable to delete anything from the feature tree
          Dave Bear

Hi Steven,

What version are you using?

What method did you use to ensure the features had no external references?

Are you able to suppress the item without issue?

Dave.

• Re: unable to delete anything from the feature tree
            Jim Wilkinson

Steven Marriott wrote:

no external references exist, when I right click and select delete nothing happens !! please help I have to press escape to continue to work, and the item has not been deleted.

This sounds like the delete confirmation dialog is coming up, but you aren't seeing it (since you have to hit ESC to continue working which will cancel out of the confirmation dialog). Did you happen to have multiple monitors hooked up and have now switched back to one? If so, the dialog may be coming up off screen or it may have moved so only a sliver of it is shown on screen. Windows is getting better at pushing dialogs on screen in these situations, but it doesn't always happen properly depending on what state you were in when you detached the other monitor, or if you weren't using multiple monitors and it somehow got pushed off screen some other way.

Here are a couple of things you can try:

1. When in the state where you've hit delete but can't do anything, press Alt+spacebar, Hopefully you will then see a little menu come up somewhere on the screen that says Move and Close. Select Move and then use the arrow keys to move the dialog on screen. For instance, if that little Move/Close menu came up on the left of the screen, push and hold the right arrow key until the dialog moves on screen. You may be able to select move and then push any arrow key once and then move your mouse and the dialog may jump to the mouse.
            2. When int he state where you've hit delete but can't do anything, go down to the start bar, use the right mouse button menu and choose Cascade Windows or one of the other commands that will manipulate all of the windows and hopefully that will pull the dialog to the monitor.

These things work differently in different OS's so I am not sure what will work for you. These are things I just tried on Windows 10 and they worked although my delete dialog is not stuck off screen even though I tried to simulate that by putting it on another monitor and then detaching the monitor. For me in that situation, Windows 10 pushed the delete dialog back into the middle of the single laptop monitor when it the external one was detached.

Report back as to whether either of these worked for you so others will know how to solve it in the future.

Thanks,

Jim