7 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2018 6:43 PM by Ian McLean

Suppression Assistance....

Kevin Andrews

On large assemblies, we will create folders for different parts of the build - effectively creating "sub-assemblies" of sorts. This will allow me to suppress/unsuppress folders and will allow my render/rebuild times to be much quicker.

The problem is that if I suppress a folder that has items mated to it, those items no longer recognize the mate and these items are free to move around freely. This can also cause some items to re-orient themselves into a position where I can't get them back without wiping out all the mates and restarting - or closing without saving and reopening.

Hiding the folders does not give the performance increase - so that doesn't really help me.

Is there any other option that would increase performance AND allow the mates to remain in tact?

• Re: Suppression Assistance....
          John Stoltzfus

Doing it that way would require a "New" configuration - then when you suppress the assemblies, you could fix the other components that you don't want to have moving around.

Glenn Schroeder

Why not go ahead and create actual sub-assemblies?

Kevin Andrews

Is it possible to have a BOM display individual components of a sub assembly vs. showing the sub assembly? If so, would the BOM recognize the same part in different sub-assemblies so that it would give me a total count of components?

We have to 3D model these in the same way that the guys in the shop assemble them. They do not build sub-assemblies and they aren't worried about space savings.

Glenn Schroeder

Kevin Andrews wrote:

Is it possible to have a BOM display individual components of a sub assembly vs. showing the sub assembly? Yes.  See below.  If so, would the BOM recognize the same part in different sub-assemblies so that it would give me a total count of components?  Yes.  That's what the "Parts only" option does.

Ian McLean

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

Kevin Andrews wrote:

Is it possible to have a BOM display individual components of a sub assembly vs. showing the sub assembly? Yes. See below. If so, would the BOM recognize the same part in different sub-assemblies so that it would give me a total count of components? Yes. That's what the "Parts only" option does.

Another option is to use promote on your sub-assemblies:

This has advantage of allowing you to choose what gets promoted to what level

Craig Schultz

Suppress is going to suppress everything about the parts.  I would do a combo of what John and Glenn said.

Create the subs.  Mate them where you want (less mates to worry about on the top level).  See if that helps the performance.  If it doesn't, fix all of the parts and then suppress away......  That way they stay where you want them to.

Or you could always do display states.

Justin Reule

Yes, it is going to suppress all items related to anything suppressed.  Did you try creating the parts in a separate assembly and create a  SpeedPak  configuration in that sub-assembly?  This is how I speed up rebuild and performance for large assemblies. With the SpeedPak configuration you have to select what reference you will use for mates. It takes a little time and thought to set them up, but it is worth it for large assemblies/sub-assemblies.