4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2018 10:02 AM by Bill McEachern

Heat Transfer Coefficient Comparison

Michael Fidel

Please don't ban me for asking too many questions. Please bear with me because Im so frustrated with it.

My goal is to compare double pipe heat exchanger heat transfer coefficient calculations and the simulation results of the said parameter,

however Im so frustrated because the calculation results and flow simulations results dont match or even come close. I think, my problem is that

what value of heat transfer coefficient from the surface plot I could compare to the calculation results to have at least closer results.

From the surface plot:

• Re: Heat Transfer Coefficient Comparison
          Siavash Khajehhasani

Hi Michael,

My reply may not be that of help but it clarifies simple facts.

1) You need to start going over your simulation  setup to see what did you wrong. What assumptions/simplifications made you too car from reality. How do you judge if these are correct numerical results...etc.

2) People are here to help, so it's better to continue on your earlier post to let others also keep track of the case.

3) Share your model and sim setup to get more accurate and quicker response.

Good luck!

Bill McEachern

I read the other post before commenting here. Just measure the exit temperature and figure out the over all heat transfer coefficient between the two liquids. I imagine that the energy lost by the one fluid is gained by the other. That would be the average heat transfer coefficient. What you get in the plots are the distributed heat transfer coefficients which vary all over the place depending on the local conditions. You can also set a goal to get the average heat transfer coefficient over some selected set of surfaces, you can the get the min and the max as well. Seems like you are burning a lot of cycles on something that is pretty straight forward. What are the average heat transfer coefficients for the experimental set up? How are you calculating those? Just do the same thing from the simulation data. I am pretty sure you don't have a heat transfer coefficient direct sensor.

Ken Lux

Michael,

Mathematically, h=Q/( | Tfluid-Twall | ) at a stagnation point is infinite (Tfluid-Twall = 0).

I'm not sure how to remedy that, but, as Bill mentioned, you can estimate U from Q (the amount of heat transferred = difference in mass flow x specific enthalpy) and the 4 inlet and outlet temperatures. Calculate the LMTD from the temperatures and the U=Q/(A x LMTD).

Ken