14 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 2:27 PM by Jim Steinmeyer

Smart Dimension - Slots

William McFaul

Where I work it is standard procedure to dimension slots from end to end, so QA can easily caliper the parts to check. So trying to make things easy on them we try to dimension to the maximum dimensions i.e.

However we are also required to center mark holes and slots using RMB > Annotations > Center Mark... i.e.

Problem is if the slots are annotated before they are dimensioned. SolidWorks automatically does this.

So I am forced to delete the center mark. Then pull my smart dimension, change the leaders to max, then go back and re-insert the center mark.

Is there a way I can stop SolidWorks from automatically pulling dims for the center mark on slots? When I select end radiuses, I would expect it to measure based off the selection, rather that randomly deciding to pull from the center, creating more work in the long run.

• Re: Smart Dimension - Slots
          Tony Tieuli

William McFaul wrote:

Where I work it is standard procedure to dimension slots from end to end, so QA can easily caliper the parts to check. So trying to make things easy on them we try to dimension to the maximum dimensions i.e.

However we are also required to center mark holes and slots using RMB > Annotations > Center Mark... i.e.

Problem is if the slots are annotated before they are dimensioned. SolidWorks automatically does this.

So I am forced to delete the center mark. Then pull my smart dimension, change the leaders to max, then go back and re-insert the center mark.

Is there a way I can stop SolidWorks from automatically pulling dims for the center mark on slots? When I select end radiuses, I would expect it to measure based off the selection, rather that randomly deciding to pull from the center, creating more work in the long run.

I tried to recreate your problem. I modeled a part with a couple of slots, made a drawing then put center marks on both slots.

Then I used Smart Dimension and selected the end radii. The center points of the slot ends were selected and I was able, while still in the dimension command to go to Leaders and change the Arc Condition to max on both ends.

center mark dimension.png

Solidworks never selected the slot center marks at all.

I tried to find a setting that would change that behavior but I couldn't find anything.

I'm using SWX 2018 SP1.0 are you using something different?

William McFaul

SW2018 SP01

I believe if you use the hole wizard to make your slots it may avoid doing this, but if you draw your slots it does the annoying dim thing.  I often contemplate using the wizard and a hole callout just for this very reason.

Tony Tieuli

William McFaul wrote:

SW2018 SP01

I believe if you use the hole wizard to make your slots it may avoid doing this, but if you draw your slots it does the annoying dim thing. I often contemplate using the wizard and a hole callout just for this very reason.

On my model I used hole wizard for one of the slots and just sketched and cut extruded the other slot.

As you said the hole wizard slot gave me no problems. When I dimensioned the sketched slot and clicked on the Leaders tab the Arc Condition wasn't visible. I had to exit the dimension then click on the dimension again. This time, when I clicked on the Leaders tab, the Arc Condition was there.

But, in the hole wizard slot or the sketched slot,  the dimension tool never selected the center mark automatically.

William McFaul

Was the center mark before you dimensioned or after? It only seems to happen when it is center marked beforehand. I'm not the only person in the office with this issue. I'm not sure why in your case its choosing to work. The other strange anomaly is that sometimes it does not give me the issue, and works as it should. Other times I get the weird dim problem. I was hoping this was a setting that is some random check box buried somewhere 12 tabs deep that I need to go and un-check and re save the template to solve the problem for good.

Tony Tieuli

William McFaul wrote:

Was the center mark before you dimensioned or after? It only seems to happen when it is center marked beforehand. I'm not the only person in the office with this issue. I'm not sure why in your case its choosing to work. The other strange anomaly is that sometimes it does not give me the issue, and works as it should. Other times I get the weird dim problem. I was hoping this was a setting that is some random check box buried somewhere 12 tabs deep that I need to go and un-check and re save the template to solve the problem for good.

I placed the center mark before I dimensioned.

It may be that there is a random check box buried somewhere 12 tabs deep but I wasn't able to find it.

John Christensen

I tried as you did -

add center mark to OB

add smart dimension

left dim is the result

OR:

add center mark to OB

add smart dimension, drag dimension to the side, press shift, place dimension

right dim is the result

edit dim to place at max extents

Clipboard011.jpg

Christopher Estelow

When you go to dimension the slot hold down the shift button while clicking on the outside radii of each end and it should go to the outside.

Chris

John Christensen

Let me try this again:

Works with or without center marks

smart dimension

pick an arc "at the extent"

and position dimension as shown below, then press shift

1.jpg

second, pick second arc "at the second extent",  let up on shift as shown below

2.jpg

place dimension.

dimension will consistently remain at the extents

3.jpg

Jim Steinmeyer

With dimensioning slots I go one step further. After creating the dimensions I create a note  and attach the leader to an edge of the slot, with the note active I select the diameter dimension, type X and then select the length dimension and place the note. Next I hide the dimensions and now I have a slot call-out  Ø3/4" x 1-1/2 rather than the separate dimensions.

William McFaul

That's a pretty slick move there Jim. I'm gonna have to give that a shot. So basically, it gives you the same result as if you used the hole wizard and a hole callout? Can you remove the dims after making the note, without loosing the link?

--It still works after you delete the dims--

Jim Steinmeyer

William McFaul wrote:

That's a pretty slick move there Jim. I'm gonna have to give that a shot. So basically, it gives you the same result as if you used the hole wizard and a hole callout? Can you remove the dims after making the note, without loosing the link?

William McFaul,

I think you can delete the dimensions without problems but to be safe I simply hide them. This way, if you need to you can show all annotations and show them again. I have gone to creating all of my slots with the hole wizard to have the center mark show easier and I can create my dimensions before or after marking with no problems. This will allow the same dimensioning either way you make the slots.

A trick I learned in the tips-N-tricks thread is that I create a guide sketch on the part and then I create the hole wizard holes or slots placing them on the pre-defined points of the prior sketch. This seems to make editing the hole locations easier for me. I can also use the same sketch for several different hole or slot sizes and combinations if desired.