37 Replies Latest reply on Mar 6, 2018 3:43 PM by Thijs Haverkamp

Sub-Assembly inaccessible

Thijs Haverkamp

Hi Everybody,

Well,.. here we go yet again.

Quite suddenly (I don't recall making any weird changes but adding a few holes to an allready exisiting sketch) one of my sub-assemblies is inaccessible. It's used twice in the assembly, in different configurations. When trying to open the file it has an empty feature-tree, apart from the configurations. Like it's not resolved, but in light-weight or supressed.

When I try and change the configuration I get the following message ''SOLIDWORKS encountered a serious problem in the file %1.''

*Tried opening the sub-assembly separately (without the main-assembly opened)    -Didn't work, assembly still empty.

*Changed the configuration in the sub-assembly then...

*Tried openening all parts of the sub-assembly seperately    -All parts open in good order, their configurations work in good order, but still do not show in the sub-assembly.

*Changed the configuration in the sub-assembly then...

I'm on a VERY tight deadline, and this has been the so manieth ''bug'' (I presume) and this stuff is costing me a lot of time and thus money.

SOLIDWORKS YOU ARE DEPRESSING ME (again)

Any thoughts?

Ive been really careful about external references and any other things that confuses SolidWorks in some situations, I did a lot of extra work making sure all sub-assemblies and parts have their own independent configurations to activate in stead of having to connect references or shared geometry.

• Re: Sub-Assembly inaccessible
          Vladimir Urazhdin

Reboot system.Try open one by one each component of subassembly and repair each if required. With all components already opened, try to open subassembly again.

Fatih Mehmet Ozcan

Did you try to break references?

Suppress parts one by one?

Try restoring an earlier version if you use recovery service

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17119/windows-7-recover-lost-deleted-files

Edit subassy from main assy, without opening individually?

How much part included in your assy?

Steve Calvert

Open the assy in question in the Large Design Review and see if the sub-assembly files are located where you think they should be.  If that looks ok, start right clicking on each sub/component and opening them in Lightweight.  If this gets them all opened you should be able to save the top level. 

If you can't access the part, it's been moved or name changed.

Steve C

Thijs Haverkamp

Ok, to summarize what my problem was and how it went away.

1. I saved my main-assembly and noticed one of two identical sub-assemblies disappear from my screen. One was supressed, the other just marked with an exclamation mark. They were both active in different configurations.

2. When trying to open the assembly, it showed to be empty entirely, except for the configuration-tree. When trying to change the active configuration, it showed the following message and terminated the session.

3. I tried opening all the parts that make up the sub-assembly seperately. They all worked and all their respective configurations worked aswell.

3a. I then tried opening the Sub-Assembly, thinking it would help having the parts opened in the background. It didn't.

3b. When trying to change configurations the session was terminated.

4. Went crying on the Forum where I was suprised by the amount of help offered. (Thanks Steve, Fatih and Vladimir)

4a. Dried my tears and tried some of the suggestions that I had not tried before.

5.Tried opening the Sub-Assembly in ''Large design review mode''.

5a. Saw all references/features intact.

5b. I was getting more hopeful.

6.Tried opening the Sub-assembly, but loaded in a different configuration. (I had the parts open in the background, don't know if that made a difference, personally I don't think so.)

6a.This worked. I loaded all configurations once seperatly, to see if they worked. They all worked.

6b.Ended in the configuration that didnt work before. Saw it worked, saved it all.

7. Opened the Main-assembly. Saw everything working.

7a. Still dont understand why and how. Since I didnt really change anything?

Vladimir Urazhdin

Thijs Haverkamp wrote:

Ok, to summarize what my problem was and how it went away.

1. I saved my main-assembly and noticed one of two identical sub-assemblies disappear from my screen. One was supressed, the other just marked with an exclamation mark. They were both active in different configurations.

2. When trying to open the assembly, it showed to be empty entirely, except for the configuration-tree. When trying to change the active configuration, it showed the following message and terminated the session.

3. I tried opening all the parts that make up the sub-assembly seperately. They all worked and all their respective configurations worked aswell.

3a. I then tried opening the Sub-Assembly, thinking it would help having the parts opened in the background. It didn't.

3b. When trying to change configurations the session was terminated.

4. Went crying on the Forum where I was suprised by the amount of help offered. (Thanks Steve, Fatih and Vladimir)

4a. Dried my tears and tried some of the suggestions that I had not tried before.

5.Tried opening the Sub-Assembly in ''Large design review mode''.

5a. Saw all references/features intact.

5b. I was getting more hopeful.

6.Tried opening the Sub-assembly, but loaded in a different configuration. (I had the parts open in the background, don't know if that made a difference, personally I don't think so.)

6a.This worked. I loaded all configurations once seperatly, to see if they worked. They all worked.

6b.Ended in the configuration that didnt work before. Saw it worked, saved it all.

7. Opened the Main-assembly. Saw everything working.

7a. Still dont understand why and how. Since I didnt really change anything?

Russian roulette: SolidWorks versus users.

This time you were lucky to survive...

Thijs Haverkamp

Since the problem started yet again, yet the ''solution''doesn't work either, it seems a bit more like Russsian Roulette with a pistol rather than with a revolver.

Steve Calvert

Can you take a screen shot and show us the dismissed messages in the system options - messages/errors/warnings section?

Steve C

Thijs Haverkamp

This was the last one.

None of the buttons on this window worked, I was able to rotate the model in the background, but was unable to even close down the window in a normal fashion. everything in the background did ''respond'' but none of the buttons did anything.

And this one..

When trying to alter the active configuration in the assembly

Steve Calvert

OK, nothing terrible I see in the messages but you do have a couple of rebuild problems that might be causing you slowness.  I'd suggest to reach out to your VAR with these files and let them try.

You could also just have a bad install of SW...  It has happened in the past

Steve C

Thijs Haverkamp

Thanks Steve,

I will do that, and perhaps start thinking of some different software to use in the future. I''m still young enough to get something else under my belt and frankly I think Solidworks is getting worse.

I dont understand why it is that ten years ago I was engineering about the same type of constructions like chassis etc., then it was hard on my Pentium or whatever was the thing back then. And now 10 years of advancement later, but SolidWorks is still acting like a grandma carrying an anvil rather that an elephant.

I meet more and more people displeased with SolidWorks,.. I wonder what the best alternative is. Or is it that they know there is no real alternative so they got us by the proverbial short-hairs?

I love SolidWorks for it ease of use and intuitive setup, but in terms of stability she's drunk and needs to go home.

Thijs Haverkamp

Ok guys,

Same problem occured again tonight, I'm trying to go through the same steps as yesterday, but I seem less lucky, unless I'm missing something.

1. I tried opening all the parts seperatly.

-All parts open correctly.

1a. Tried opening the sub-assembly while all parts are opened in the background.

-The Sub-Assembly is empty, just like yesterday.

2. When opening it in ''design review mode'' it shows all references intact. I can open all parts through there, but get the same empty file when attempting to open the sub-assembly itself.

3. Opening the Sub-assembly by itself, but loading a different configuration (the trick that did it yesterday) doesnt work either.

-Tried all configurations, none work.

So I guess this is back to square one, if the solution form yesterday was just a fluke.

It seems to just loose all references, does my computer have Alzheimers?

Tom Gagnon

Have you tried opening a troublesome assembly (sub or otherwise) in <Advanced> configuration?

You can select: "New configuration showing assembly structure only" where I normally name it "troubled" or such.

This is a method for recovering corrupted files and saving them properly, and has saved me several times from submitting files to my VAR for repair which would delay my completion.

Once you have it opened with everything suppressed, you can unsuppress it bit by bit to see where the error lies, and diagnose further.

Save as you go if it begins to succeed even partially. You can discard the extra configuration once you've repaired the rest of it.

Otherwise, involving your VAR and/or a clean reinstall still sounds like a viable option. Be sure to capture Settings Wizard, and where instructions may tell you to delete some temp files, I strongly recommend that you move the contents instead so that they can be called upon if needed later, or discarded if not. It's always better to have something you don't need than to need something you don't have.

Good luck Thijs.