29 Replies Latest reply on Mar 20, 2018 1:43 AM by Doug Foster

Hello Forum,

Doug Foster

I am trying to 3D print an object a collaborator has created in SolidWorks, and am unable to print the surface of the object.  I am using Cura to slice the stl file, and am printing on a delta style open source Reprap named Athena.  Might anyone have seen this issue?

Thanks

• Re: Hello Forum,
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Doug,

Welcome to the forum.  I wish I could help with your problem, but I'm afraid I don't know anything about 3d printing.  However, I have a suggestion that might help you get answers.  Many forum users won't bother looking at posts with generic titles.  I'd suggest you click on the link near the top right that allows you to edit your post and change the title to something more descriptive.  It doesn't need to be overly long, but should at least give a general idea of your issue.

Glenn

Dan Pihlaja

Also, can you share the file here?  It could be a topological issue.

Doug Foster

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply.  I should touch base with the author before sharing the file.

I'm not familiar with SW.  The person I a working with has designed an item in SW that has multiple parts.  The parts have been sent to me as .stl files for 3d printing.  Those parts that are discrete and described as a single stl files print fine.  A couple parts have arrived (electronically) a multiple .stl files; based on the file name I'm guessing that are files for different surfaces of the same part e.g. " inner wall of..." and "outer wall of...".  When I try to print these, the "fill" of the object prints out, but some surfaces are missing. 

In trying to resolve the issue I saw something about combining files:

• "Select Save all components of an assembly in a single file to save the assembly and its components in a single .stlfile. "

(source: 2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Exporting 3D Print Files

Not sure if that's relevant.  Any thought would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

DF

Fatih Mehmet Ozcan

Printing a whole assembly is not very common unless it's designed specifically for that purpose. To export stl files just use save as command and change format in file dialog menu. Can you post some screenshots of your parts, I still don't know what is the issue here

Dan Pihlaja

Doug Foster wrote:

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply. I should touch base with the author before sharing the file.

I'm not familiar with SW. The person I a working with has designed an item in SW that has multiple parts. The parts have been sent to me as .stl files for 3d printing. Those parts that are discrete and described as a single stl files print fine. A couple parts have arrived (electronically) a multiple .stl files; based on the file name I'm guessing that are files for different surfaces of the same part e.g. " inner wall of..." and "outer wall of...". When I try to print these, the "fill" of the object prints out, but some surfaces are missing.

In trying to resolve the issue I saw something about combining files:

• "Select Save all components of an assembly in a single file to save the assembly and its components in a single .stlfile. "

(source: 2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Exporting 3D Print Files

Not sure if that's relevant. Any thought would be much appreciated.

Many thanks,

DF

Well, without seeing the file, there can be only guessing. 

If there is interference between some parts when the STL file is saved as a single file, then you are going to have issues.

Vladimir Urazhdin

My guess only...

The issue you described may be explained if STL file has been created from multi body part.

If so, ask (if it possible) to compose (still in SW) all bodies into one and then save the part as STL file.

Fatih Mehmet Ozcan

What do you mean by unable to print surface of the part? Did you try Netfabb and check your stl file for errors? Can you post your file?

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

As Glenn Schroeder posted, to improve your chances of appropriate replies, may I suggest you edit your post title and the tags to something more specific to your situation.

Until the post is viewed, the title and tags are the only indication for your issue, which as you can see, isn't much:

You've had over 130 views, but I'm thinking this is out of curiosity.

Good luck,

Kevin

S. Casale

I have 3D Printing for a little bit of time.

Perhaps the creator saved an assembly with line to line faces for the individual .stl's?

Perhaps if you can't share the model, can you share the .stl's?

Doug Foster

Hello All,

Thank you so much for the feedback.  I'm going to try to meet my collaborator in person to better understand  how the file created in SW is being exported as an stl.   I don't know that I explained the issue clearly... below is a screenshot of the imported stl as it appears in a slicing program named Cura, and the actual 3d print of the same file.

Top.pngIMG_3223.jpeg

Model in Cura                                                                           Actual print.

It seems that only the "infill" is being printed.  It seems that the surfaces are missing.

Regards,

Doug

Doug Foster

Hi All,

First, MANY thanks to G.S., D.P., V.U., J.S., K.C., S.C., M.P., A.G., and especially F.M.O. and J.M.

I did not understand the file I was trying to print, and did not do a good job in posing the question.  (The images below are not the those of the actual model, but are representative of the problem.)  The question should have been:

"can the space between the inner and outer shell of a model be filled in (can "A" be converted into "B")?

Tumbler-Manufacturing & Prototyping specs.png

Sorry I took up so much of everyone's time. 

I and a SW compatriot are trying to help a third person with their design idea. My SW friend is new to 3d printing, I know nothing about SW, and person 3 just wants a 3d printed prototype.  All three of us are connecting remotely.  SW person created a model for person 3 in SW, and asked me if I could print a prototype.  I said I thought I could, but when I received the stl file, the file seemed to only have the 2d surfaces of the of wall of the cylinder; the walls did not seem to have volume.   (I thought I was receiving an stl of model "B.")  My SW friend was sure the outer wall appeared solid on his end- he was looking at the outer wall of the actual model "A" that was intended to go to to a fabricator.  Model A was a cylinder with 2 solid, thin, concentric walls having a thickness of ~ 0.3mm.  My printer has a nozzle diameter of 0.4mm.  I'm guessing Cura was not able to create  gcodes for walls of the model having thicknesses of less than 0.4mm.  Consequently, the printer left the walls unprinted.

Again, so sorry, & MANY, MANY thanks to everyone who looked at this post & offered feedback.

Best regards,

Doug Foster