need help

Chris Rutiaga

hello

• Re: need help
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello?

Glenn Schroeder

What kind of help do you need?  Are you in danger?

Dave Bear

Ran out of beer perhaps?

Dave.

Maha Nadarasa

Rescue team is ready to rush. You address please

Chris Rutiaga

no no, not in any danger or ran out of beer, lol, I'm trying to learn how to do isometric drawings and need software/ someone to guide me to enhance my skills as I'm a superintendent for a construction company and we do a lot of as-built drawings and would rather use a software to do this instead of hand sketching all drawings

Dave Bear

Have you looked at the inbuilt tutorials?

Dave.

Chris Rutiaga

I DONT HAVE THE SOFTWARE, TO START DRAWING....i DOWNLOADED A PART BUT IT DOESNT SHOW ME BLOCKS IM THINKING I MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE THE BLOCKS BUT I DONT KNOW HOW NEW TO THIS.

Chris Saller

You don't have to yell....

Glenn Schroeder

Chris Rutiaga wrote:

I DONT HAVE THE SOFTWARE, TO START DRAWING....i DOWNLOADED A PART BUT IT DOESNT SHOW ME BLOCKS IM THINKING I MIGHT HAVE TO MAKE THE BLOCKS BUT I DONT KNOW HOW NEW TO THIS.

We'd like to help (that's why most of us are here, after all), but if you don't have the software what are you asking?  Do you need to hire someone to make the drawings?

J. Mather

You could have included all information in original post.

1. Do you know how much SolidWorks costs per license?

Once you have found that number - double it to get cost of license + learning (basics).

You can download a trial version to get started - but be aware that SolidWorks is a professional program and deserves (requires?) a professional level of preparation for use.

Chris Saller

I suggest taking the SolidWorks class, if you purchase SolidWorks. Then also go thru the tutorials. For a beginner an instructor is helpful.

Jason Martin

As with every software, it takes a bit of time to learn it. You wont learn it all in a day. Do the tutorials, buy a book, practice the examples a bit. That will bring you up to speed.

Hand sketching an ISO drawing.... EWWWW

Paul Salvador

Hello Chris,.. can you show us typical examples of what you are re-doing?

David Matula

SOLIDWORKS® Certification Center

try this link ....find someone anyone in your state that has a cswp or higher.  They can help you decided what you need to buy and

what kind of computers that you would need.  The budget for cad startup is not very cheap.  I'd look to hire some guy as a consultant, part time evening type work

or try this link

SolidWorks User Group Network

find a user group near you and someone would be more than happy to lead you in the right direction.

Chris Rutiaga wrote:

no no, not in any danger or ran out of beer, lol, I'm trying to learn how to do isometric drawings and need software/ someone to guide me to enhance my skills as I'm a superintendent for a construction company and we do a lot of as-built drawings and would rather use a software to do this instead of hand sketching all drawings

Kevin Chandler

Chris Rutiaga wrote:

Hello Chris Rutiaga ,

I've done new drawings and as-builts for AEC (plumbing, mech, fire, and electrical) in a former life.

Depending on your jurisdiction, creating as-builts may not be permitted unless you're the one who sealed them (or their minions).

If you don't have access to the original electronic CAD files, then you have a huge workload ahead of you in addition to the CAD learning curve.

If you're starting from scratch on CAD then I suggest you search for CAD services in your area or check with the project engineer or architect on what they require for as-builts, how they'd like it and who should be doing it or is permitted to do it.

The best solution I think for your situation is "redlining".

Request read only files (like Adode PDF files) of the drawings and use software to transcribe the field notes into the PDF as legible as-built notes (paper still beats an electronic device in field especially with D & E prints, but you could go with a tablet for this).

You can add revision clouds, too, and other annotations.

The free readers of PDF files (principally Adobe Reader, but there are others) have some basic markup and commenting features, but you may have to purchase the full editor (Adobe Acrobat), which is far less $ than CAD packages, both in initial cost and in learning curve.

Autodesk (for AutoCAD) and SolidWorks have free viewers for their native file formats and these viewers come with some markup capabilities.

And like Adobe Reader, they're free. They'll proabably have a "Pro" version with more functions at a price, but like Acrobat, a few hundred bucks, far less $ than CAD.

Check with your project engineer/architect for the CAD file format they use and request files for redline/markup purposes.

If these CAD files aren't available, ask your project engineer/architect for the PDF files of the drawing set.

Some may be reluctant to distribute the original CAD files, but they can get you read only files created from their CAD (SolidWorks' read only file format is called "eDrawings", I can't remember the name for AutoCAD's read only format)

It's a simple "Save As" command within the CAD software to create these files, so you're not requesting too large of an effort.

If these files aren't available, contact your closest large format print shop and request to quote for a scanned set of prints.

Explain why so they know you're not shopping them for pricing.

The drawing set (before they're used and abused) can be scanned for a fee into individual PDF files (one sheet per PDF file) and make sure you specify PDF format and not some other image format like JPEG.

Get permission from your project engineer/architect before scanning as they are the legal owners of the drawings' content, but I don't think this should be an issue given your intentions to document actuals.

The print shop may have an agreement with the engineer/architect forbidding scanning w/o permission.

But from my past life, any sub taking some initiative to improve the job, usually gets the cooperation requried.

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

Chris Rutiaga

didnt mean to yell lol, yeah im new to the process on getting started, i dont mind paying for what i need/ software/tutorials, so i guess ill get in touch with someone from solid works, how bad could the prices be.......please dont tell me it will crush my dreams. i guess in the meantime i can look at youtube videos and or things solidworks offer.

Chris Saller

There are plenty of YouTube videos and users here that are willing to help, or contract on the side.

Glenn Schroeder

Be careful about youtube videos.  Anyone can post them.  Some are very good, and some are "questionable".

Tom Gagnon

Welcome to the forums.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/buy-software.htm may be what you seek.

Do you need a 3D or 2D CAD? Simulation? Testing? CAM? Visualizations or walkthrough videos? If you only need 2D, DraftSight is free.

Also worthwhile:

Some very important steps if you are a NEW FORUM USER....

And to reinforce others responses regarding YouTube, pay attention to what year release you are seeing. Changes enacted since the video was made may negate outdated advice or processes.

Edit: emphasis added

Tony Tieuli

Chris Rutiaga wrote:

didnt mean to yell lol, yeah im new to the process on getting started, i dont mind paying for what i need/ software/tutorials, so i guess ill get in touch with someone from solid works, how bad could the prices be.......please dont tell me it will crush my dreams. i guess in the meantime i can look at youtube videos and or things solidworks offer.

It seems to me that what you're trying to accomplish isn't really that difficult. There are a host of less expensive CAD programs that would probably work for you. I myself have only used Solidworks and a couple of others that are expressly for CAD / CAM. There are many accomplished forum members who could probably recommend software that is more suited to your purposes.

I hope this doesn't come across as insulting, that is not my intent.

Sebastyon Champion

prices on start up solid works (licenses and computer) can be around $10k easy

Rick Becker

Chris Rutiaga wrote:

... im new to the process on getting started, i dont mind paying for what i need...

...please dont tell me it will crush my dreams.

Chris,

I am pleased to hear of your wonderful new project.

I want to apologize in advance because, if you choose my firm to help you, I'm certain that I will have to crush your dreams.

I believe my firm, Dewdrop, Cheatem & Hold'mUp, ltd, inc., can help you. Either me, or one of my Top Rated Associates, will be pleased to come to your site, and turn your hand sketches into isometric drawings.

As you know, the data in our files are priceless. A price cannot be put on the accurate and correct design of your project. We have the most advanced tools and methods possible to help you.

Just send me First Class Airfare to your destination. Arrange for ground transportation (Limo with bar service) along with accommodations at the closest 4-Star hotel. A small daily stipend will be required for food and necessary accoutrements. Tipping is not required, but is greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you soon.

Sebastyon Champion

dang Rick, you got any openings????

Rick Becker

Sebastyon Champion wrote:

dang Rick, you got any openings????

Why yes Sebastyon. A man with your capabilities would be a fine asset for Dewdrop, Cheatem & Hold'mUp, ltd, inc..

I order to facilitate your inclusion with the Team (I believe you would fit in the A-Team) we would need to iron out the details in person, and I would like to meet you in your natural environment.

Just send me First Class Airfare to your destination. Arrange for ground transportation (Limo with bar service) along with accommodations at the closest 4-Star hotel. A small daily stipend will be required for food and necessary accoutrements. Tipping is not required, but is greatly appreciated.

Hope to see you soon.

S. Casale

The answer is 42

Tony Tieuli

Scott Casale wrote:

The answer is 42

That's right! The answer to everything is 42!

Todd Blacksher

Nothing to add, just wanted to be the 42nd reply . . .

Paul Salvador

42.png

J. Mather

You forgot the Units.

The number is useless unless one knows the units.

Todd Blacksher

J. Mather wrote:

You forgot the Units.

The number is useless unless one knows the units.

I would have to check with S. Casale - I was guessing that it was "Slugs per fortnight" for the units, but I'm probably wrong . . . again.

S. Casale

This melted my mind.

I really did search the fortnight and came up with this:

FFF system - Wikipedia

Then I knew I was in a loosing battle with my brain to the relative truth.

This is my answer to the umteenth power of voltronic autobots √ 6  :

Todd Blacksher

S. Casale wrote:

This melted my mind.

FFF system - Wikipedia

This is my answer to the umteenth power of voltronic autobots √ 6 :

Welcome to the evil that was created with someone that I used to share an office with - we had a penchant for messing with people for our sheer enjoyment.  If the units were missing, we immediately grabbed two completely unrelated units of measure, mashed them together, and used that. This is where "slugs per fortnight" was born . . .

For reference -

A slug is defined as the mass that is accelerated by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound (lbf) is exerted on it. One slug has a mass of 32.174049 lb or14.593903 kg based on standard gravity, the international foot, and the avoirdupois pound.

I believe that a fortnight is 2 weeks.

No rhyme, no reason . . . various electrical issues were often blamed on "heliotropic noise".

Go forth, and do damage . . .

S. Casale

Right - knew that about meaurments Fortnight doth haveth thine meanin' of thir dos weeks.

I was looking for a literary answer. D.Adams. would not be proud.

Thought it funny that FFF is not first relative to Form Fit or Function according to wikipoopia.

Todd Blacksher

S. Casale wrote:

Right - knew that about meaurments Fortnight doth haveth thine meanin' of thir dos weeks.

I was looking for a literary answer. D.Adams. would not be proud.

Thought it funny that FFF is not first relative to Form Fit or Function according to wikipoopia.

Any pull from Adams or Pratchett would have been great - I'm a little disappointed in myself for going the "easy route" and not grabbing something from one of the greats.

Glenn Schroeder

Todd Blacksher wrote:

S. Casale wrote:

This melted my mind.

FFF system - Wikipedia

This is my answer to the umteenth power of voltronic autobots √ 6 :

Welcome to the evil that was created with someone that I used to share an office with - we had a penchant for messing with people for our sheer enjoyment. If the units were missing, we immediately grabbed two completely unrelated units of measure, mashed them together, and used that. This is where "slugs per fortnight" was born . . .

For reference -

A slug is defined as the mass that is accelerated by 1 ft/s2 when a force of one pound (lbf) is exerted on it. One slug has a mass of 32.174049 lb or14.593903 kg based on standard gravity, the international foot, and the avoirdupois pound.

I believe that a fortnight is 2 weeks.

No rhyme, no reason . . . various electrical issues were often blamed on "heliotropic noise".

Go forth, and do damage . . .

Back when I was doing honest work as a carpenter and something didn't fit right we'd say "I forgot to allow for the curvature of the Earth".

Paul Salvador

WT-Firkin,... kewl! 

..ah ha!...  I thought it may be related to Beer!..

download.jpg

Todd Blacksher

Paul Salvador wrote:

WT-Firkin,... kewl!

That is an absolutely great find - mad props to S. Casale!

Kevin Chandler

Paul Salvador wrote:

WT-Firkin,... kewl!

..ah ha!... I thought it may be related to Beer!..

download.jpg

I thought was about beer!?

What a great marketing campaign that would be, the slogans are already out there:

"Hey! We're outta firkin beer!"

"Hey! Who drank the last firkin beer?"

"Honey! Run to the store and get some firkin beer!"

"Honey! Grab me another firkin beer!"

"Your best friends are firkin beer friends."

"Best firkin beer I ever drank!"

Some home brewer ought run with this one!

Firkin cheers,

Kevin

Dan Pihlaja

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Paul Salvador wrote:

WT-Firkin,... kewl!

download.jpg

What a great marketing campaign that would be, the slogans are already out there:

Firkin cheers,

Kevin

I will bet you would find it here:

Kevin Chandler

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

Kevin Chandler wrote:

Paul Salvador wrote:

WT-Firkin,... kewl!

download.jpg

Firkin cheers,

Kevin

I will bet you would find it here:

Well, at least Milwaukee has got their firkin %*#@ together!

Dan Pihlaja

LOL

Sheppey: A measure of distance equal to about 78 of a mile (1.4 km), defined as the closest distance at which sheep remain picturesque.

From here: List of humorous units of measurement - Wikipedia

Rick Becker

J. Mather wrote:

You forgot the Units...

Fine!

The answer is 42 units

Sebastyon Champion

Rick Becker found your hotelhotel.jpg

Dan Pihlaja

This thread from the OP reminds me of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the knights find the words that were carved into the wall of the cave.  They said, "Aughhhh!!"    Then they had a dialog about how maybe the person who carved them was in trouble, and how ridiculous it would be for someone to carve the word Aughhh! in a wall as they are dying.

I had a mental picture of the OP having a heart attack or getting mugged, and grabbing the laptop, logging into the Solidworks forums, creating a question and typing, "Need Help".

Sorry....my mind goes weird ways when I am tired!

Tony Tieuli

Dan Pihlaja wrote:

This thread from the OP reminds me of the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where the knights find the words that were carved into the wall of the cave. They said, "Aughhhh!!" Then they had a dialog about how maybe the person who carved them was in trouble, and how ridiculous it would be for someone to carve the word Aughhh! in a wall as they are dying.

I had a mental picture of the OP having a heart attack or getting mugged, and grabbing the laptop, logging into the Solidworks forums, creating a question and typing, "Need Help".

Sorry....my mind goes weird ways when I am tired!

Oh c'mon now. I've been reading your posts for quite a while now. You don't need to be tired for your mind to go weird ways!

That's one of my favorite things about you!

Paul Salvador

..he's just kicking back waiting for the right person to help...

nyuszi_rabbit.jpg

Chris Cunningham

This is one of my favorite threads to date! lol