4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 12, 2018 12:52 PM by Ryan Dark

Transport heat with thin chopper foil

Michael Kuhn

Hello fellow Simulators,

i´d like to know what your thoughts are on project of mine.
      I am trying to transport a "small" amount of heat (~ 1 Watt) over a distance of 13mm with a thin chopper foil (Width: 8mm, thickness ~0,2mm).
      Using Lambda of chopper (~400 W/mK) it looks like the heat flux going through will be roughly 2 Watts. (deltaT = 40K)

I dont have much experience with thin foils transporting heat. What do i have to consider? Is it even possible to transport heat with thin foils and calculate the flux the same way like if i it´s bulk material?
      My calculation is based on stationary heat flux -no dissipation and radiation of the chopper foil . The dissipation will take place at the sink via convection.

Schema.PNG

cheers,

Michael

• Re: Transport heat with thin chopper foil
          Attilio Colangelo

Absolutely you can model this.   Just make sure, as you said, that there is not heat dissipation from the copper because in this configuration it will act as a fin and probably dump the heat before reaching the sink.

Ryan Dark

Hi Michael,

Yes, you can make this analysis.  To Simulation nothing about your geometry is any kind of prohibition.  In fact, you have most of what you need in a qualitative definition ready (heat dissipation only in the sink, heat only in the source, all material properties).  Perhaps the only things that you will need to nail down are your numerical values (convection constant, bulk ambient temperature).  One thing you do not mention but will be something you wish to consider is the imperfect contact created between your bodies.  If you leave them as just "Bonded" then you will have perfect conduction akin to when you place thermal paste between a CPU and heat sink.  If you are not using thermal paste in this analysis you would want to define explicit thermal contact resistances between your bodies to account for imperfect contact (if you are using thermal paste then ignore this part).

Michael Kuhn

Hello guys,

tanks for your provided information on how to model the problem and what to consider.

But it seems like i did not express myself correctly.
                My question was not about how to model the problem in SW ...  it is more general about heat transfer of thin foils and if the mathematical rules of bulk material apply as well (stationary heat-transfer one dimensional).

Ryan Dark

Michael,

The setup described will give you a one-dimensional flow through the geometry you have.  If you are asking whether there are special considerations to take into account to make this function as a one-dimensional flow the answer is, no.  If I am still missing the answer you are looking for you may want to expound on what sort of information you are seeking here.