AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unknown Mesh Icon

Question asked by Aaron Gradeen on Mar 1, 2018
Latest reply on Mar 2, 2018 by Keith Frankie

Hey Guys,

I've been fiddling with thermal loading on a very simple cylindrical rod representing a cable. If I apply a temperature decrease of say, 100 K, I know what strains should show up in the cable as it's fixed at both ends. I ran the study and got much smaller reaction forces at the two fixed ends. After pulling my hair out over it for a couple hours, I started another study from scratch and got the expected results. Looking back on all the other incorrect studies, the only difference I could see was an icon beside the part in the simulation feature tree. Check out the picture below. Mesh shows up fine on all four solid bodies. But that icon looks incorrect. Isn't that the icon for a remote mass? Any idea why that icon is there? Typically that blue cube represents an icon for a solid body.

When I recreated the study from scratch, I got the correct icon beside the solidbody.

here's a snapshot of the mesh of the cable for the study with incorrect results. Each solid body just represents a quarter slice axially down the cable.

All loads, fixtures and materials are identical between the two studies. I apply the temperature to each of the four solid bodies. Does anyone have a clue about what's going on?

Thanks

Outcomes