We recently upgraded to PDM standard, and every time we load an assembly it has to re-create a lot of missing tool box parts even though they are already in the vault, any idea if we are missing a setting?
There are specifying questions:
1. What version of PDM - 2018?
2. What Toolbox setting up and settings of linked documents in SolidWorks?
3. What Toolbox setting up and setting up external links in Administration PDM?
4. What settings in Configuration Toolbox?
5. Toolbox is adjusted for use in the multiuser environment?
6. How many vaults use Toolbox?
Here are the questions answered,
1. What version of PDM - 2018? 2016
2. What Toolbox setting up and settings of linked documents in SolidWorks? Do not follow question 2 or 3?
4. What settings in Configuration Toolbox? Create Parts
5. Toolbox is adjusted for use in the multiuser environment? Yes
6. How many vaults use Toolbox? Just one
Default Toolbox file location during install is local within the Solidworks 20XX directory. Working in a team requires either all installations to be identical and no customized parts within Toolbox, or a shared network location for Toolbox to be installed to and users Settings to point to. The shared Network location is far better, once set up.
I don't know how PDM would handle this differently, or induce changes with an upgrade.
Could be as simple as this check box in Solidworks:
Make sure everyone has the same settings in Solidworks. Take one computer, check File paths, Templates, Toolbox every file and reference option under Solidworks - Tools - Options. Make sure the computer is working the way you want it to. Then use that computers' settings as a template for all other computers using the Copy Settings Wizard. It's really important you have the same settings.
Thanks for the tips but we have checked all those settings
I apologize for problems with questions 2 and 3 for the reasons of machine translation.
It isn't sure that all settings are available on SolidWorks Standart 2016, there was no opportunity to check.
But on SolidWorks 2018 Pro I solved just the same problem two days ago.
Probably, not everything that I did is related to the matter, but I adjusted:
1. SolidWorks PDM Administration\Local settings\Settings\External reference (Add Toolbox\Copied Parts).
2. SolidWorks\System Options\File Location\Referenced Documents\(Add...\PDM\ToolBox\CopiedParts).
3. SolidWorks\System Options\File Location\Search Parts\(Add...\PDM\ToolBox \)
Besides (this superfluous is possible) I checked:
- Permission and Settings groups and users (to add automatically, Dispatch - to register at addition, etc.)
- Probably, changed something on the tab of SolidWorks\System Options\External Reference\
- ToolBox has to with guarantee is loaded when opening SolidWorks.
If it not so - it is necessary to open the required files of *.dll from SolidWorks (or to register them manually).
- level of the rights of all files *.exe (SolidWorks, PDM, ToolBox, EDrawings).
- excluded these ways and files from the Antivirus.
- added full authority to the current user on the tab of Vault Properties.
And still can matter:
- as access to groups/users on the Archiving server is adjusted
and what type of an entrance to PDM is used - SQL or Windows (Domain users from Active Directory).
Whether there is in PDM Standart an opportunity to grant the rights to the user - to update the Toolbox settings?
In advance I apologize for possible problems of machine translation.
Sam, thanks for all the advice I will work on this tomorrow
If the problem remains, the question not in settings means.
Most likely, problem with links to the Toolbox components.
It is possible to check it differently:
- using to update links in a local type of Vault (Tools \ Update References),
- To copy a tree in PDM,
- To copy the Project in Explorer, SolidWorks, SolidWorks Explorer.
At the same time, all links can be possible "correct", but after opening files will have old path.
It is possible to view real links having selected (without opening) the file in the Solidworks window, having pressed below the links button.
Possibly, all this depends on the specific settings Solidworks, PDM, the registry, etc.
Practically, if on the computer there was the previous location of Toolbox - it needs to be renamed, moved or deleted.
It seems, such recommendation is in the Guide Administration PDM in case full integration of Toolbox with PDM.
After that, can be required to update links of the file in a local view (having selected the Toolbox folder from vault) and to register the file. In rare instances changeover of files manually can be required.
All above-mentioned was not checked on the partial integration of Toolbox (when by Toolbox out of PDM) as this option is not recommended and has a row of problems (though from the point of view of administration can seem more convenient).
I hope that it will help to solve a problem.
In principle, can't every time, on the same path to be created files which there already is (without the corresponding message) - it doesn't allow to make Windows.
Question - where these files are created? In local Cash? In the Temp folder?
To try to clean local Cash and/or to use SOLIDWORKS Rx.
In other case - it is probable, something with rights/settings of the user, for example if Toolbox is started from under Admin - whether start from other user is allowed in Windows.
Thanks for all the help, unfortunately we are still seeing the same problem, I have reached out to our VAR to see if they have any idea
What do you mean by "recreated". If they already exist where are they created?
We get this error when opening the assembly how ever our assembly is ten plus years old, all our fasteners are saved in the vault however for some reason it always creates some missing sizes
If it occurs only by import of old assemblies it is necessary to update references in vault. If it gives nothing, try to make inaccessible an old path/folder (for example to rename it or to move).
If I have correctly understood - with new assemblies there are no problems?
Retrieving data ...