12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 1, 2018 1:34 PM by Brian McEwen

hole creation from existing slot

Scott Layman

I  have a frame weldment created and used in an assembly. There are about a dozen pieces of slotted unistrut  mated to the frame. The slots in the strut were created from a sketch and cut/extrude feature. The slots were then propagated with a linear pattern. Now that I have these pieces of strut positioned I need to put holes in the frame. I suppose I could just edit the frame in the assembly, dropping holes "close" to where they should be and clean up with the resultant sketch in the part file. I'm sure there is a better technique?

ScreenHunter_81 Feb. 27 19.30.jpg

• Re: hole creation from existing slot
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

You can do an extrude cut in the assembly and if you want the the holes in the weldment, selct propogate to part in the property manager.

Cheers,

Kevin

EDIT: Perhaps you've already considered this, but you must detail the Unistrut cuts relative to the slots as you;ve modelled.

You have variance with the slots of course, but just in case your slot fastener might end up behind your piping.

Just typing.

Glenn Schroeder

Scott Layman wrote:

I have a frame weldment created and used in an assembly. There are about a dozen pieces of slotted unistrut mated to the frame. The slots in the strut were created from a sketch and cut/extrude feature. The slots were then propagated with a linear pattern. Now that I have these pieces of strut positioned I need to put holes in the frame. I suppose I could just edit the frame in the assembly, dropping holes "close" to where they should be and clean up with the resultant sketch in the part file. I'm sure there is a better technique?

If you'll edit the frame Part inside the Assembly you should be able to reference the slots in the unistrut.  No need for "dropping holes "close" to where they should be and clean up with the resultant sketch in the part file".

Paul Risley

Scott Layman wrote:

I have a frame weldment created and used in an assembly. There are about a dozen pieces of slotted unistrut mated to the frame. The slots in the strut were created from a sketch and cut/extrude feature. The slots were then propagated with a linear pattern. Now that I have these pieces of strut positioned I need to put holes in the frame. I suppose I could just edit the frame in the assembly, dropping holes "close" to where they should be and clean up with the resultant sketch in the part file. I'm sure there is a better technique?

I am not sure if you are familiar with in context relationships in an assembly?

If not this is the purpose of it. Make your holes in part level in the assembly. Edit the parts you want to put holes in and you can add relationships to the slots as you need to.

Capture.JPG

Make sure to check the allow multiple contexts for parts when editing in assembly for multiple part references. Otherwise it will not work very well for multi transfer parts.

Brian McEwen

Hmm, I didn't know about the "allow multiple contexts for parts when editing in assembly".  But those are external references.

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - External References Options

In many workplaces external ref are not used.  If this is the case, you can use Schroeder's method, but turn on No External References.

It will still snap sketches to the centers, etc, but it won't actually add the external relations.

Or, if you create the external ref temporarily (while iterating the design and fit), and then go back later. When you go back to the sketch with External References you can use the Display/Delete Relations tool to clear em out. 

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Display/Delete Relations PropertyManager  (underutilized excellent tool)

Indicates external ref was used:  ->

And I would almost always pick the Hole Wizard over a Cut for something like that - where a standard bolt will be used.

... And finally, correctly made slots (using either the Slot sketch tool, or the Slot in Hole Wizard) will have 3 Temporary Axes, if you turn them on you can see the center - if that is where you want the bolt hole.

Scott Layman

Thanks for the responses. I ended up using the "get them close" method but I'll experiment with the suggestions. In this case the spacing is defined by the strut slots and the location on the angle is std, ie.1.125, 1.625, from the edge so the clean up was pretty easy. I didn't find a good way to reference the center of the  slots as I was placing the holes.

Glenn Schroeder

Scott Layman wrote:

Thanks for the responses. I ended up using the "get them close" method but I'll experiment with the suggestions. In this case the spacing is defined by the strut slots and the location on the angle is std, ie.1.125, 1.625, from the edge so the clean up was pretty easy. I didn't find a good way to reference the center of the slots as I was placing the holes.

Why?  Weren't you able to directly link to the slots in the other Part?

Evan Dlugopolski

This should be pretty straight forward...

Right click on weldment, edit part, and draw sketch on face you want the hole. You should be able to reference slot from unistrut when placing or constraining the hole.

Edit part...

I was able to reference unistrut part to constrain center when sketching hole profile on weldment.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

As another suggestion to aid in design changes: Create your holes made in the assembly smaller and less deep than required for the fastener.

Then open the weldments and add Hole Wizard holes with the points snapped to the centers of the holes above.

This way you can easily change parameters and use a hole callout on your drawings.

As long as the Hole Wizard has material on diameter and depth, it won't complain about the starter hole.

Cheers,

Kevin