1 Reply Latest reply on Feb 27, 2018 12:12 PM by Iain McEwen

On board graphics card with laptops

Tom Hickerson

I have a Dell precision 7710, and it has a Nvidia Quadro M-4000M.  

I am not having any issues, but one thing I don't understand is why there is a "Intel Graphics Settings" application as well as two graphics adapters in device manager.  One is the Nvidia, and then there is a Intel HD Graphics P350.

I see how on a desktop you can have two display adapters, one is on the motherboard, and one is in a PCI slot, but how does this relate on a laptop.  On desktops you can disable onboard video adapter, but I don't see an option for this in laptops.  How do you control what video card your laptop is using? 

Are the laptop screen and external video ports all controlled by the NVidia? 

• Re: On board graphics card with laptops
          Iain McEwen

Hi Tom,

Optimus, which enables the machine to switch between using the card and intel onboard. more information here (Optimus Technology|NVIDIA )

It is not obvious if a laptop has this technology. If you inspect "Display adapters" in the Windows Device Manager and two adapters are shown (see attached image "OptimusNVIDIADisplayDevices"), then that would suggest that the laptop is running Optimus. The other method would be to open the NVIDIA Control Panel to see if it is possible to choose a preferred GPU (see attached image "OptimusDetectNVIDIAPanel"). This will only exist on a laptop running Optimus. It is important to note that a laptop could be Optimus capable, but have Optimus disabled in the BIOS.

For SOLIDWORKS® usage on a laptop with Optimus enabled, the video card driver should decide if SOLIDWORKS would benefit from the discrete NVIDIA GPU and leverage that GPU for all SolidWorks needs. The SOLIDWORKS application, however, does NOT control which display adapter is in use.

If you go into your NVIDIA control panel, you can go into the advanced settings and force it to use the NVIDIA processor when running particular applications (images below)

2017-09-28_11-03-10.png

2017-09-28_11-03-32.png