7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2009 5:21 PM by Chad Leman

Can't conect to Archive Server

Chad Leman
      My PDM archive server is belly up, and as we have suppliers cutting from our PDM service we are in a world of hurt until this is fixed, any help is appreciated.

Sometime yesterday afternoon (I was out) PDM stopped accepting any connections. When I try to open the server from the Admin tool, it hangs for a bit then comes back with the message "The Archive Server connection receive operation timed out."

Also, when I try using the Archive Server Configuration tool to restart the service, the service completely hangs until I do a restart, then the same thing over again.

My VAR is working with SW on this but precious minutes are ticking away...
      I verified that port 3030 is open.

EPDM 2009 SP2.0

Thanks in advance.
        • Can't conect to Archive Server
          Todd Puckett
          can you telnet (servername) 3030 from main archive server?
          the answer in NO

Do you have the web server setup? Great backup for when you have Archive server issues, very easy to setup.
              Chad Leman
              Todd~

We do have a web server setup but it's on the same physical server as the archive server.

The problem was this:
              One of our remote replicated archive servers had turned Windows Firewall on, which was blocking port 3030 by default. Once I turned WF off, bingo, everything opened up and connections were up again.

So now my real problem is this (only since installing 2009):

Why does the whole system lock up when one replicated server goes down? Shouldn't the remaining servers carry on with or without the server which is blocking port 3030?

Thanks,
              Chad
                  Todd Puckett
                  Chad,
                  The web server is connected to one archive server and as long as it's running the web server should work. A disconnected remote replicated archive server will not cause your web server to fail. You may not be able to access some files if the latest version of the file is on the disconnected archive server.

I have had multiple archive servers disconnected and our web server worked fine.

2009 is not the problem.
                      Chad Leman
                      Todd~

I was told by my VAR that if a change is made to a remote archive server and that server goes down, the main server will attempt to connect to the archive to get the latest replication information. If it can't connect, it will hang.
                          Todd Puckett
                          I would have to disagree.

We currently have an archive server in Shanghai and it is having internet connection problems and it is not able to replicate in it's current condition. This has no effect on anyone connecting to our other 3 archive servers. The users in Shanghai are using the web client until their ISP get's the connection fixed.

If a user trys to get a file from an archive server that does not have the latest version and the archive server that does have the latest version is not available then they will get a message to that effect. The version tab will tell you which archive servers have the lates version. Your event log on the main archive server may get full but I have not seen the main archive server hang because of a missing archive server.

If you try to restart the Archive Server service on the main archive server when users are logged in then it usually requires you to kill the ArchiveServerService.exe manually, this has alway been the case. It should start and run regardless of the status of other archive servers.

You should test this after hours so you don't have a simular problem later. If your connection to the remote archive server should ever fail (and it will) you will want everyone to still have access to the system whether through windows explorer or the web client.
                              Chad Leman
                              Todd~

I should clarify. If there is a change made on a remote server through the administration tool (example: change someone's password using admin tool on remote archive) then the system will lock everyone out until it can replicate that new system setting. The answer is obviously to limit system changes to the main archive server and let them be replicated to the others.

I agree if a file is changed on a remote server that goes down that will not affect the others.
                      Have you checked the Windows Event log? Do you have enough disk space? Are the services running when viewing them from Adminstrative tools, services?