3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 27, 2018 11:20 AM by Glenn Schroeder

Dimensions & Configurations

Marshall Wilson

To take full advantage of the (wonderful) power of Configurations, I am often assigning sketch dimensions to different values in different Configurations, and my workflow is pretty slow with this when I have to do it within a sketch. Two things would help me, and I'm not sure if there are already existing Feature Requests for these. If there are, can anyone point me in the right direction, or of course please inform me if these features are already existing and I am unaware.

1) Some sort of color coding/marker reference on sketch dimensions that would tell me at a glance if a given dimension was applied to The CURRENT configuration only, or all configurations. This would help a ton - even though I often know perfectly well that a dimension is only for the current configuration, I have to go to its property manager and click on "Configurations" just to check, because the consequenses for making a mistake here are big (i.e. the dimension's value being applied to all other configurations by mistake if I screw this up)

2) A RMB menu option for configuration settings on dimensions. So i don't have to move my mouse all the way to the property manager to change a dimension's Configuration settings.

Thank you very much!

Marshall

• Re: Dimensions & Configurations
          David Brukardt

Right click on the dimension and select Configure dimension.  A dialog will open showing you the dimension value in each configuration.  This might be faster than going to the dimension's property manager.

About the only way I know to color code would be to use a design table.  Dimensions that are controlled by the design table are a different color (most of the time the only reason to put a dimension in a design table is to change it on a per configuration basis).

Marshall Wilson

Thanks for the reply David that is a good option - but what SW version are you using? I don't see a "Configure Dimension" option on my RMB menu for dimension.

Edit : Found it  - Foolishly looked for the "Configuration" option in a part with only 1 Configuration. Thanks again David.

Glenn Schroeder

Marshall Wilson wrote:

Thanks for the reply David that is a good option - but what SW version are you using? I don't see a "Configure Dimension" option on my RMB menu for dimension.

Edit : Found it - Foolishly looked for the "Configuration" option in a part with only 1 Configuration. Thanks again David.

The "configure dimension" option in the right-click menu should still be there, even if there is just one configuration in the model.  Are you sure you were right-clicking on the dimension in the graphics area?

Another option is to right-click on a sketch in the tree and choose "configure feature" from the drop-down.  That will bring up a table with options to control the suppression state of the sketch, but there's a drop-down to allow you to add columns for selected sketch dimensions.