2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 26, 2018 8:59 AM by Scott Giffin

Macro to split a BOM at each sub assembly

Scott Giffin

Is there a way to split a BOM at each sub assembly? What I have is about a 100 part assembly that consists of 5 punch side and 5 die side sub assemblies plus a set of cutoff tools. I have the separated tools listed how we want to see them on the sheet as general tables as an example. I would like to have a linked BOM in place of the general tables but it would need a lot of manual tweaking that I'd like to automate as much as possible. Starting with splitting it at each sub assembly. Then hide the sub assembly names to show only the tools. Hiding the headers would be nice too but not a priority at this point. I also need it to list each instance of the tools separately so they would show up in each station instead of as a quantity in the first station it's in. Essentially what I want is for every lines quantity to be 1. Then don't show the quantity column since it will no longer be needed. I have a good start on the macro based on an awesome video I watched from Amen of cadhero.com which I will attach here. So far it only does the cutoff tools. If there is a sheet 2, it will transfer the remaining tools to that sheet which then will require further splitting at a yet to be determined spot. Any help is greatly appreciated!

• Re: Macro to split a BOM at each sub assembly
          Amen Allah Jlili

Thanks for mention Scott Giffin ! I was going to re-direct you to that exact video until halfway through reading your post, I read that you have seen already . It looks like pretty challenging task. It's possible to do the split at each sub-assembly level if the BOM follows the order of the main assembly.

Contact Keith Rice (https://www.cadsharp.com)

Cheers,
          Amen

• Re: Macro to split a BOM at each sub assembly
              Scott Giffin

Thank YOU for your contribution to the community! Yes I am creating the tree exactly the way we want it to be listed in the resulting split BOMs. I'm very new at this part of the design process. I'm fairly familiar with Solidworks but just getting started with the API and macros. I'm new to this company. Before I started here they were using AutoCAD. I'm trying to help them see the advantage of automating the process of creating the drawings in this new environment. They seem to have a far more urgent need right at the moment because the server we use is off site at another location. The speed is not useable for assemblies in Solidworks. I guess I need to research what people are doing to address the issue of sharing data across multiple locations.