5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2018 9:29 AM by David Matula

Possible to turn on only top-level reference planes of subassemblies?

Garet Holcomb

I work with large assemblies consisting of many subassemblies.  It would be convenient for the to quickly turn on only the top-level reference planes for each subassembly, without seeing all of the dozens of planes for the component parts of that subassembly.  Is there a way to do this quickly?

• Re: Possible to turn on only top-level reference planes of subassemblies?
          Alex Burnett

The only way that I can think to do that would be a macro. However, without researching it, I don't know how it should be approached.

Josh Brady

Do you want to be able to see them all at the same time, or are you eventually looking to just select them?

Try this macro.  Map to shortcut key is best... Select a subassembly (or really whatever you want) and run it.  Run it as many times in a row as you want... With each run it will select the next piece of reference geometry.  There are constants at the top of the code to refine its behavior.

Pair it up with this "Select Parent" macro.  You can select anything and run the macro.  If what you selected was part of a subassembly, it will de-select your selection and select the subassembly instead.

Both of these macros actually operate only on the last thing selected.  So you can select something, hold down Ctrl and select something else and run the macro.

If you really want to turn on the planes, the puzzle pieces for writing that macro are mostly contained in these two.

Garet Holcomb

Hi, I'm going to give these a shot.  Ideally, I'd like to be able to easily see the main reference geometry for my workspace, and only the top-level planes for subassemblies.  If I turn planes on, I get *all* of them, including the sometimes hundreds of planes for individual parts many levels down in the assembly.  It's messy.

In my old design software I could right click on an assembly in the design explorer and "view reference geometry."  When I did so, it would only turn on the top level geometry, leaving all of the planes for the sub- subassemblies and components off.

When building a large assembly, being able to hook onto top-level references for subassemblies in convenient.  I just don't want all of the other cluttering up the workspace and forcing me to hunt for the right plane.

Glenn Schroeder

It's possible if you have your Plane visibility set up correctly in your Sub-Assemblies.  The Assembly shown below has one sub-assembly and multiple Parts.  The three main planes in the sub-assembly are set to Show in the sub-assembly, and the main assembly's main planes are set to Show.  All other planes are set to Hidden in the individual files.  When I choose to show Planes with the appropriate icon in the heads-up Hide/Show drop-down only those six planes are shown.

To sum it up, when you set planes to Hide or Show with the command the arrow is pointing to, it will only show planes that are set to Show in the individual files.

David Matula

Garet, anything is possible...This sounds like you have some part files that are showing planes also.  I like to see them at times and sometimes not but when I get threw with the model I turn them off.  So when I want to show the planes on a main assembly I just need to set the visibility on and those are the only ones I see besides a few ref planes that are in parts for mating purposes.