5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 23, 2018 12:44 PM by Igor Fomenko

Equations Not Working

Nathaniel Franklin

I am having a bit of trouble with using the equations in solidworks. The way that I know to use equations is to create a global variable, and then assigning that variable to something like the length of a line. Lets say I have created the variable "B" and assigned the value to be 40mm. Then I smart dimension a line and try to add the variable, the line just smart dimensions to 40mm, and not the "B" variable. I have looked through all the settings and couldn't find anything that would cause this, and I can't find anything online either.

• Re: Equations Not Working
          Igor Fomenko

Use this button to switch

Button is pressed

Glenn Schroeder

Nathaniel Franklin wrote:

I am having a bit of trouble with using the equations in solidworks. The way that I know to use equations is to create a global variable, and then assigning that variable to something like the length of a line. Lets say I have created the variable "B" and assigned the value to be 40mm. Then I smart dimension a line and try to add the variable, the line just smart dimensions to 40mm, and not the "B" variable. I have looked through all the settings and couldn't find anything that would cause this, and I can't find anything online either.

When you try to add the variable, are you typing the Equal sign first, and if yes, do you not get the drop-down allowing you to select the global variable?

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Here's a screen shot of what Glenn Schroeder mentioned:

Which will become this:

Because it's an equation, the completed dimension will look like this when done:

When you edit this dimension, you'll see what Igor Fomenko posted:

As an alternative method, you can assign the line's dimension to the global variable (GV) while in the Equations dialog (I added a second line to show this):

Type an equal sign and select the GV from the list as shown above (or type the equal sign and click the GV name in the list of GVs):

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

Vladimir Urazhdin

After all Global Variables are set, in Equation Manager place cursor on Global Variables area, click on dimension then place cursor on Value / Equation area and choice the GV you need to link:

EQ.jpg

Igor Fomenko

Attention! Be ready to workaround bug with shifting of cut-list properties in case you have global variable. I`m waiting for SPR from my VAR.

Workaround is to select second item to get mass.

Model view.PNG

Cut-list properties dialog.png