11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 22, 2018 9:40 AM by Gijs Heufkens

Alignement of holes

Gijs Heufkens

I have a sheet metal part with a few holes in it. After bending the part i want the holes to be aligned. How do i show this on a 2d drawing?

Thanks.

• Re: Alignement of holes
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Can you post a screen shot of what you are looking for?

Cheers,

Kevin

Gijs Heufkens

I want to tell the people who are going to make my product that the holes must be aligned after bending the part.

I dont know how to properly show this on a 2d drawing. I just put down 'Holes must be aligned' for now, but surely there must be a more legitimate way to do this.

Glenn Schroeder

I'm certainly no authority on any widely recognized drafting standards, or sheet metal drawings, but I'd think the way you have it should adequately convey what you want.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

A few issues I'd investigate:

1. "MUST BE ALIGNED" indicates a zero tolerance
                      1. If you use GD&T, perhaps you can use a positional tolerance to its corresponding hole (or some other form tolerance).
                    2. These holes are across two bends so I suggest you check with your fabricator to see what their fabrication tolerances are for this situation.
                    3. The material is thin and with most of the material removed which makes for a weak part, so, being easy to flex, this will affect the alignment of the holes especially those holes farther from the bends
                    4. Two of the holes are close to the bend, so while you're discussing the tolerances, ask about these holes to be sure they do not become elongated by being too close to the bend (I can't tell from the image if this is actually an issue, it's just close enough that I thought I'd mention it)
                    5. The two cutout flanges are longer than the MGG portion, so tooling reach without the tooling contacting the thin flanges (and potentially bending them) may be  another discussion topic with your fabricator

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Kevin

Glenn Schroeder

I'm not at all I'm sure what you need, but see if the below (copied and pasted from Frequently Asked Forum Questions) will help:

17. “I want to place a drawing view with a specific orientation that's not one of the standard views.  How can I do that?"  Like most things in SolidWorks, there are several ways this can be done.  Probably the simplest starts with orienting the model the way you want the drawing view to be.  That can be done a variety of ways, such as starting with one of the standard views and rotating by holding down Ctrl and using the right and left arrow keys on your keyboard, or by Ctrl+selecting two non-parallel surfaces and then the Normal to button from the Standard Views toolbar (which will place the model with the first face selected normal to your screen, and the second surface selected at top).  When you have the model oriented the way you want, hit your spacebar.  That will bring up the Orientation dialog box.  Select the New View icon.

Name your view and save, and the View will be available to use in your Drawing.  Select it from the view's PropertyManager.

If your drawing view has the correct face normal to the screen, but you need to rotate it, you don't need to create a new view.  Just click on the drawing view to highlight it, then click on the Rotate View icon in your heads-up toolbar (see below).  That will allow you to enter a value for how much you want to rotate it.  It will rotate counter-clockwise, so if you want it rotated 90° clockwise you'll need to enter -90°.  By the way, I occasionally have a body that comes into the drawing at an odd angle because that's how it's oriented in the model.  When that happens, and I want it horizontal or vertical, I place a sketched line in the view, make it horizontal or vertical, then use the Smart Dimension or Measure tool to determine the angle between it and a model edge.  That's a big help with knowing what value to enter for Rotating the view.  Delete the line after determining the value.

An option I recently (2017-06-15) learned about for rotating a view is to select an edge of a drawing view, go to Tools > Align Drawing View, and select "Horizontal Edge", "Vertical Edge", etc., but you may or may not get the results you want.  See the comments on page 7 of this Discussion.

Still another option for drawing views of Parts is to go ahead and insert a view, then right-click on it and choose Drawing Views > Relative View.

That will take you to the model where you can choose which faces (or Planes) you want front and right.  If this is a multi-body part you will also have an option to choose which body or bodies you want included in the view.  When you click OK in your model it will place a new drawing view oriented according to your selections.  You can now delete the original view if it's not needed.  Relative View was one method commonly used for showing selected bodies before the Select Bodies... button shown in #15 above was added, but I don't believe I've used this method since then.  Once you've clicked Okay you can't go back and edit your selections, which is one big reason I don't like to use it.  I described it here because it's an option for a drawing view orientation without the need to create a new view in the Part file.  This also might be a good option if you're in a multiple user environment, because if someone updates the model's standard views it won't affect drawing views that were inserted using this method.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

One more item that may help make the alignment easier is to enlarge your holes slightly.

I don't know what will be placed in these holes, but another suggestion is to make the holes as large as possible within the part's function.

But not knowing the overall situation, this may not be possible, but just another point to consider.

Cheers,

Kevin