8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 4:08 PM by Tom Gagnon

variation opacity

Marie-Ève Morin

Hi! On solidworks ,In a development plan, when my assembly is finish, can I change the variation of opacity on different type of line when we detailling ? Like the dashed line is more paler and the first step of my assembly is more darker exemple? I would like to gamble with different type of line like autocad? layers or ? how I do that?

thanks

and also if I would like to change the opacity of one objet in my assembly where I go to made that?

exemple: A grill on a plate, I would like to have my line of my plate more darker and the grill more paler, for the detailling

• Re: variation opacity
          Glenn Schroeder

Hello Marie-Eve,

It's fairly simple to change the line style or thickness of selected components in a Drawing.  Right-click on the component and choose "Component Line Font" from the drop-down.  That will bring up a dialog box that will allow you to override the default.  Please reply back to let me know if this helps, or if you have more questions.

Marie-Ève Morin

HI Glenn!

When you talk components in a drawing, do you talk about A piece in construction and not in the development plan? because me I talk after the piece when a cotation all of the stuff. So in developement plan I dont have the option component line front ...

If you tell me is the only solution its ok , I will made that but if I can create after the type of line, its more for me.

Thanks!

Glenn Schroeder

I believe we're dealing with a language barrier here, but I'll try to help.  By Drawing I mean a SolidWorks drawing file.  The actual 2d drawing that's produced from a 3d model (Part or Assembly).

When you say "A piece in construction" do you mean the 3d Part or Assembly?  And does "development plan" refer to the Drawing?

I'm also afraid I don't know what "cotation" means.

Matt Peneguy

Marie-Eve,

Bottom line is that SW drawings work completely different than AutoCAD drawings.  You have "component" level control of the parts and assemblies.  Think of the parts in your drawings like blocks in Autocad, if that helps.  So, if you want to change the linestyle of a particular line in SW, it would be very hard or impossible to change just that line.  You'd have to change the linestyle for the whole part.

The dialog Glenn Schroeder is referring to is available here:

Tom Gagnon

In SWx, Layers only exist in a Drawing file. You can customize line type (solid, dash, dot, etc), line color, and line weight (thickness) per layer, and control how it outputs that way.

I've tried placing a component on a layer to control edge display in a drawing, but did not succeed. I've only gotten the layers to apply to annotations and sketch entities. Occasionally, I have Convert'ed edges to sketch lines on a layer, then hidden the part, which leaves its edges represented by sketch lines controlled by a layer.

Dan Pihlaja

Tom Gagnon wrote:

In SWx, Layers only exist in a Drawing file. You can customize line type (solid, dash, dot, etc), line color, and line weight (thickness) per layer, and control how it outputs that way.

I've tried placing a component on a layer to control edge display in a drawing, but did not succeed. I've only gotten the layers to apply to annotations and sketch entities. Occasionally, I have Convert'ed edges to sketch lines on a layer, then hidden the part, which leaves its edges represented by sketch lines controlled by a layer.

You can use layers to control the color of a part in a drawing, but not the edge font.  Matt's reply below is how you control edge font.