2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 7:38 PM by Paul Salvador

Export to FBX for Cinema 4D

Matthew Galvin

Hi,

Just wanted to post a follow up on export options.
      I recently started a job where most of the mechanical and electrical drafting is done in Solid Works. I'm the video/marketing guy and I needed to get the models into Adobe CC, and Cinema 4D.

Aside from shelling out for the Okino solution (which I was skeptical about), I launched into an exploration of how to get there.

The SLDASM file was 65 MB and was very complex. You may have better luck or a different workflow with a simpler project.

Here's what worked for me from Solid Works 2016 to Cinema 4D R18 - actually had to go through AutoCAD 2017.

Open Solid Works SLDASM in AutoCAD (start a new drawing, then Import, select other file)

Export from AutoCAD as FBX (very slow).

Open FBX in Cinema 4D

Organize (tons and tons of polygons, I ended up grouping them into Nulls with Alt+G in Cinema 4D)

Texture in Cinema, add camera, lights.

I tried multiple options from Solid Works, and the program crashed EVERYTIME on STL export. Again, very complex model, you might have better luck.

I also tried STL export from AutoCAD, but I only ended up with about 300 polygons.

Never got anywhere with the outdated VRML 1.0 export that was recommended - Cinema could not see the file.

DWG also did not work.

If you have other suggestions or improvements, feel free to message me.

Thanks!

• Re: Export to FBX for Cinema 4D
          Chris Dordoni

SolidWorks mesher really isn't designed for rendering. It produces spikey triangles that screw up smoothing normals. Additionally, it seems to hang when creating files with more than 7 million triangles. I don't know if this has improved in SW2018.

The best option for generating meshes for rendering is via Moi3d. It does not import a native SolidWorks file, so you would save as STP.

• Re: Export to FBX for Cinema 4D
            Paul Salvador

Hello Matthew,.. there are two ways within SW,... if you have Visualize (using SW Pro),.. you can export it as FBX.

Or..  buying a FBX addin from SimLabs  (it worked pretty good and was inexpensive)

I personally have Rhino3D (open sldprt/sldasm) and export  FBX...

Alternatively, Chris' suggestion for Moi3d is spot on!.. using SW polygon exports are not very good... and Moi3D is a very nice/simple/inexpensive and known to be a very good with poly outputs!