Matthew Galvin

Export to FBX for Cinema 4D

Discussion created by Matthew Galvin on Feb 20, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 by Paul Salvador

Hi,

Just wanted to post a follow up on export options.
I recently started a job where most of the mechanical and electrical drafting is done in Solid Works. I'm the video/marketing guy and I needed to get the models into Adobe CC, and Cinema 4D.

Aside from shelling out for the Okino solution (which I was skeptical about), I launched into an exploration of how to get there.

The SLDASM file was 65 MB and was very complex. You may have better luck or a different workflow with a simpler project.

Here's what worked for me from Solid Works 2016 to Cinema 4D R18 - actually had to go through AutoCAD 2017.

Open Solid Works SLDASM in AutoCAD (start a new drawing, then Import, select other file)

Export from AutoCAD as FBX (very slow).

Open FBX in Cinema 4D

Organize (tons and tons of polygons, I ended up grouping them into Nulls with Alt+G in Cinema 4D)

Texture in Cinema, add camera, lights.

I tried multiple options from Solid Works, and the program crashed EVERYTIME on STL export. Again, very complex model, you might have better luck.

I also tried STL export from AutoCAD, but I only ended up with about 300 polygons.

Never got anywhere with the outdated VRML 1.0 export that was recommended - Cinema could not see the file.

DWG also did not work.

If you have other suggestions or improvements, feel free to message me.

Thanks!

Outcomes