AnsweredAssumed Answered

Uniformly Distributed Load or Two Point loads?

Question asked by Tamas Lanci on Feb 19, 2018
Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 by Tamas Lanci

Hi Everyone,
We have to work on a project at Uni in which we have to design then build a structure that can support an 18 kg of a rectengular metal block and it has to have a gap underneath it as well (175mm). The structure itself has to be as light as possible and it can be made only out of 3 mm thick plywood that the university provides. The parts will be cut out with a CNC laser cutter.
I have already come up with a design, my only problem is how to simulate it in Solidworks to get the most accurate results?
I have one major questions:
1. Theoretically, the structure will apply a uniformly distributed load on the top of my structure. In reality, this is not the case as the structure deforms under the load, the UDL will become a two point load. So, to simulate this, I defined a fictive material that is extremely strong and lightweight compared to other materials and used it to create a "U" shaped block(grey part) that I can place on the top of my structure.
Would I get more realistic results if I run the simulation with this setting?28309405_10210235659918848_1178964300_o.png

Thank you for your help,
Tamas

Outcomes