11 Replies Latest reply on Feb 28, 2018 10:29 AM by James Harvey

BOM in .slddrw does not update after Pack & Go...Why?

James Harvey

Problem Description:

I use Pack & Go to copy existing drawings & assemblies into a new project. I initiate the P&G command from the drawing environment.

After the project is Packed & Gone, I open the new drawing and use File>Find References to confirm that the drawing is referencing only the models I want referenced (also to see that referenced files are named & stored appropriately..).

I then open several of the assembly & sub-assembly models to make the changes required of the new project. I typically "drill down" by opening the top level assembly from the drawing environment, and then open sub-assemblies from there so that things stay updated on all levels as I save and close the lower level sub-assemblies. The changes implemented have only to do with component quantities in the assemblies, top level, 2, 3, and occasionally 4 levels deep.

So now I've made my changes and I'm back in the drawing environment and the BOM's that I have in my drawing will not update to show the correct quantities.

Any ideas why?

I have tried CTRL+B, CTRL+Q, saving, closing & re-opening the drawing etc. to no avail.

Does anybody know how to determine which model file a Solidworks drawing BOM is referencing? I haven't figured out how to find that..

I am aware that when I 'Replace Model' in a drawing view, the BOM reference does not change, but this is a Pack & Go. Why the discrepancy?

Another down side is that it makes me suspicious of every BOM in the drawing. If the Pack & Go source model gets revised I have to assume any associated BOM in this new drawing is going to change with it. So I'm replacing all the BOM's.

What I really want to know is:

1) Why does this happen with Pack & Go and is there a way to avoid it?

2) Why do the BOM references not show up on the list when I use File>Find References?

Any help or suggestions much appreciated!

Best,

James

Message was edited by: James Harvey

• Re: BOM in .slddrw does not update after Pack & Go...Why?
          Matt Peneguy

Have you done a CTRL-Q instead of CTRL-B?

Glenn Schroeder

James Harvey wrote:

Does anybody know how to determine which model file a Solidworks drawing BOM is referencing? I haven't figured out how to find that..

Open the new Assembly, change the configuration name, Save, and close.  Go back to the Drawing, do a Ctrl+Q rebuild, and see if the new configuration name shows up.  I don't know of any other way, although there may be one.

James Harvey

Thanks Glenn,

It took me a minute to realize you were addressing the specific question (..you know, the one you quoted in your response, doh!).

That is an effective (if not efficient) way to confirm whether or not the BOM is referencing a desired model. Alas, it does not identify the reference, it can only test a particular model for yay or nay. That could be a needle in a haystack to find (particularly if I was not aware of the model it was P&G'd from). I'm not meaning to undercut your suggestion, it is a great test, I had not thought of it, thanks very much for that.

In this case the result was nay. Bummer. I will test again against the original model I P&G'd from. I decided against doing that due to the drawings that reference that particular model...I don't want to dig a deeper hole involving the source project.

Best,

JH

Dan Pihlaja

James Harvey wrote:

Thanks Glenn,

It took me a minute to realize you were addressing the specific question (..you know, the one you quoted in your response, doh!).

That is an effective (if not efficient) way to confirm whether or not the BOM is referencing a desired model. Alas, it does not identify the reference, it can only test a particular model for yay or nay. That could be a needle in a haystack to find (particularly if I was not aware of the model it was P&G'd from). I'm not meaning to undercut your suggestion, it is a great test, I had not thought of it, thanks very much for that.

In this case the result was nay. Bummer. I will test again against the original model I P&G'd from.

Best,

JH

RMB on any component in the BOM and select Open. This will open that part and you can verify.

Alternatively, you can temporarily add 2 columns to your BOM (then delete them later).

For the first column, make the column type "Custom Property" and the property name: SW-Folder Name

For the 2nd, make the column type "Custom Property" and the property name: SW-File Name

This will give you the exact file that is being referenced, along with full path.

Then, once you have confirmed the file, delete the columns afterward.

James Harvey

Another great suggestion, Dan, thanks.

Unfortunately, this sub-assembly contains all commonly used (not project specific) components. They all come from the same folder, which is not the project folder. For example: Control Box.asm (top)-> Panel.asm (L2)-> Terminal Strip.asm (L3)-> Terminal Block.prt, Relay.prt... The terminal block and relay are bottom level parts used in nearly every project...

This is another good resource though, as well as Glenn Schroeder's suggestion above, I will use them in the future. Thanks to you both!

Maybe I should edit my original post.

2) Why do the BOM references not show up on the list when I use File>Find References?

Best,

James

Ian McLean

James Harvey wrote:

Another great suggestion, Dan, thanks.

Unfortunately, this sub-assembly contains all commonly used (not project specific) components. They all come from the same folder, which is not the project folder. For example: Control Box.asm (top)-> Panel.asm (L2)-> Terminal Strip.asm (L3)-> Terminal Block.prt, Relay.prt... The terminal block and relay are bottom level parts used in nearly every project...

This is another good resource though, as well as Glenn Schroeder's suggestion above, I will use them in the future. Thanks to you both!

Maybe I should edit my original post.

Best,

James

Not sure if this is related, but I have found when using "Replace Model" command in a drawing that any BOMs remain linked to the original model. Doesn't seem to be any way to link it to the new assembly.

James Harvey

Ian McLean wrote:

Not sure if this is related, but I have found when using "Replace Model" command in a drawing that any BOMs remain linked to the original model.

Correct

Ian McLean wrote:

Doesn't seem to be any way to link it to the new assembly.

Correct again.

I have tried several methods of copying a project as alternatives to Pack & Go. I think Pack & Go still wins for efficiency. Due diligence is required in checking the details after the fact, and that should be part of any good designer/drafters protocol. I still can't help but feel a little frustrated with the Easy Button fail. Such is life as a Solidworks user. And that ain't so bad.

Thanks for the reply Ian

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

Can't explain why, but I've found that when a BOM goes bad, there's no recourse but to delete it and add a new one back in.

Stinks (professionally speaking) to have to redo, but it saves on heartache and gets the bus back on the road and the bad BOM quickly fades in the rearview mirror.

More curiosity than a possible remedy, but are your views linked to the BOM?

Cheers,

Kevin

James Harvey

I will Pack & Go another project in the near future. I will pay closer attention to see if I can repeat, isolate, and/or diagnose the problem. And maybe document the steps/results as well. Usually the deadline clock is ticking when I encounter the problem (and this will be no exception), but I will try.

In the project that prompted me to start this thread most of the BOM's were correct. Therein lies my source of frustration- if I can't trust the P&G results, I feel I have to check them all.

Thanks to all who have responded, I appreciate the input!

Cheers,

JH