4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 21, 2018 2:30 PM by Sam Sam

Defined Templates in SolidWorks PDM for Parts, Assemblies and Drawings when invoked in SolidWorks to create new file; It creates the required file but additionally it creates one more new file in session

Sameer Panse

Issue: Defined Templates in SolidWorks PDM for Parts, Assemblies and Drawings when invoked in SolidWorks to create new file; It creates the required file but additionally it creates one more new file in session

e.g. If we create New >> part file(select SolidWorks PDM template) >> Then In session two parts are there

1.Created through template with given inputs

2. General part as 'Part1'

It happens with all defined templates for different file types (part,assembly and drawing)

Please find the attached video for reference

Best Regards,

sameer

• Re: Defined Templates in SolidWorks PDM for Parts, Assemblies and Drawings when invoked in SolidWorks to create new file; It creates the required file but additionally it creates one more new file in session
          Sam Sam

Hi.

There are several specifying questions:

1. What is used the SolidWorks version and how many versions SolidWorks were established on the computer (2014, 2016, 2017...)?

2. When there was a problem (it is visible that there are templates 2016 and 2017 of years) - after the SolidWorks updating, or as a result of other actions? Whether there are no new additions, macroes, tasks, etc.?

3. Templates are unique or is with the same names in other folders and/or in PDM?  What settings of templates in a location of files (Solidworks Parameters)? The PDM templates yield the same result?

4. Whether was problems at installation / updating? Installation was carried out from under the same user with the rights of the local administrator or from under different users? How many processes and users in the Windows Tasks manager ? 

5. Except this problem, all the rest works normally?

Whether there are no duplicates of folders of type: SolidWorks, SolidWorks(2)?

Whether there are no old entries of the previous installations or obvious problems in the register?

If all above-mentioned gives nothing - Probably there is a sense to try correction of the SolidWorks installation and/or rollback of system with the repeated SolidWorks installation.

I wish you good luck.

• Re: Defined Templates in SolidWorks PDM for Parts, Assemblies and Drawings when invoked in SolidWorks to create new file; It creates the required file but additionally it creates one more new file in session
              Sameer Panse

Hello,

Thanks for your inputs and questionnaires which may causes the described issue.

I have gone through it and have below inputs on it.Please suggest what should we can do to sort out this.

1. What is used the SolidWorks version and how many versions SolidWorks were established on the computer (2014, 2016, 2017...)?

We are using SolidWorks 2017 and computer having both 2014 and 2017

2. When there was a problem (it is visible that there are templates 2016 and 2017 of years) - after the SolidWorks updating, or as a result of other actions? Whether there are no new additions, macroes, tasks, etc.?

Not clear about question

3. Templates are unique or is with the same names in other folders and/or in PDM?  What settings of templates in a location of files (Solidworks Parameters)? The PDM templates yield the same result?

-PDM templates are unique with different names. But 2014 and 2017 version of SolidWorks having same named templates in there respective folder on installation.

-Location of Files points to C:\ProgramData\SolidWorks\SolidWorks 2017\template

-If user creates new part file through this template described problem is not observed. Described problem arises when user invokes PDM template

4. Whether was problems at installation / updating? Installation was carried out from under the same user with the rights of the local administrator or from under different users? How many processes and users in the Windows Tasks manager ?

-Installation happened under same user with the rights of admin

-How user and process going to impact on template. What does exactly we need to understand/collect here

5. Except this problem, all the rest works normally?

Whether there are no duplicates of folders of type: SolidWorks, SolidWorks(2)?

-Yes, There are duplicate folders in installation directory for 2014 and 2017

Whether there are no old entries of the previous installations or obvious problems in the register?

-Only current installed entries are there in registry

Nick Cradock

I have had this happen on fresh installed systems, have never been able to find a solution to fixing it. I did find a semi solution by enabling the admin options in solidworks to rename the file on save. (under tools PDM i think)

Sam Sam

Never I had such problems neither on new installations, nor in case of updates, on different versions of PDM since 2009.

I cannot claim, but I think that it is not a problem of the program, but a human factor.

I can assume that most likely, a problem in settings of the PDM templates and/or in location of templates in the SolidWorks Parameters.

The received responses allow to restrict search span of solutions of a problem, at the same time arise new questions for further clearing of a situation:

1. If I correctly understood - two SolidWorks versions are used. I will not stop on question why the old version is necessary if is is newer?

Probably to it there is an explanation, but I for myself drew a conclusion long ago that a many versions of SolidWorks when using PDM not the really successful decision, though on some transition period can be and it is necessary (but this my personal opinion).

2. As far as I see on video as the SolidWorks templates are used files of *.prtdot , *.asmdot, *.drwdot which are out of PDM?

Question: And what is on a tab of the PDM templates? There cannot be such files.

If there are tuned PDM templates - what settings on a tab Files and folders / files?

Whether there is a difference of their start in the SolidWorks window and in the PDM window (from the shortcut menu)?

3. And even for test - something will change if to disconnect files of the PDM templates? (if they are - it is possible to watch video?)

4. Or to transfer files of templates *. *** dot to the PDM folder (having included caching in case of an input)?

5. Or to delete / change a location of templates (both templates by default, and the main texts and other connected data)?

Or to leave templates only for one SolidWorks version.

Perhaps, all this is already tested - interesting to know the result.

Probably before it it is desirable to make the necessary backup copies of settings, just in case.