3 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2018 4:20 AM by Patrick Reinke

Problems starting SolidWorks 2017 through API

Patrick Reinke

Hello all together,

first at all, I am new in this forum and thanks for let me beeing here. Second: sry 4 my english if it doesn't pleases you. ;-)

I have a Problem starting SolidWorks 2017 through the API. I Have heard the experts are hiding in here.  I hope you can help me troubleshooting this error and thanks 4 even reading until the end.

As a CAD-Manager I am trying to find corrupted assemblys regarding to missing file references ans corrupted mates. So i am writing an makro that starts SolidWorks and checks each assembly stored in a folderstructure. The Problems begins with starting SolidWorks. Because SolidWorks 2015 und 2017 coexists, the engine allways runs 2015 by default. So I checked the following solution, to descide which Version I want to run.

Problems with GetObject

Unfortunately it didnt work well, so I decided to uninstall SolidWorks 2015. Now the Debugger gives back an exception, when running through

SldWorks app = new SldWorks();

Do you have an idea what can be the Problem.

Deep thanks 4 any help!!

Greetings

Patrick

• Re: Problems starting SolidWorks 2017 through API
          Artem Taturevych

Hi,

What programming language are you using? If it is .NET, does debugger give something like 'Failed to query interface'? error. if so try to use late binding (as a test) - i.e. use Object instead of ISldWorks. If that works your best option to repair SW (this will repair the corrupted Type Libraries).

Thanks,
          Artem

Patrick Reinke

Hi Artem,

Correct I am using .NET with C#. Well i typed in Object swObject = (Object) new SldWorks();. but debugger still gives the same error, which is:

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException:

"Die COM-Klassenfactory für die Komponente mit CLSID {D66FBAAE-4150-402F-8581-75D1652D696A} konnte aufgrund des folgenden Fehlers nicht abgerufen werden: 80040154 Klasse nicht registriert (Translation: "(...)class not registered") (Ausnahme von HRESULT: 0x80040154 (REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG))."

Next step is to repair SolidWorks.

Thanks

Patrick

Patrick Reinke

Hi Artem,

Problem half solved. I dont know why SolidWorks is started by Default even when you have uninstalled this Version. But I do know now how to avoid this "default.behavior"- thanks of SolidWorks Support.

You have to start SolidWorks by the Activator.CreateInstance method: For example like this:

SldWorks app = (SldWorks)Activator.CreateInstance(Type.GetTypeFromProgID("SldWorks.Application.25")

25 stands for Version 2017.

Further codes:

for SW 2012

("SldWorks.Application.20")

for SW 2013

("SldWorks.Application.21")

for SW 2014

("SldWorks.Application.22")

for SW 2015

("SldWorks.Application.23")

for SW 2016

("SldWorks.Application.24")

for SW 2017

("SldWorks.Application.25")

This also should work with CreateObject("SldWorks.Application.25")

Hope this helps everyone who has the same Problem.

Greetings

Patrick