2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2018 3:41 PM by Jacob Corder

Get current file path from old file path

Jana Fischer

I have an assembly with some subcomponents. The assembly was created locally on another computer, and now I have that assembly on my computer (where the file/folder structure is different). One of the subcomponents is suppressed. If I right-click on that subcomponent and choose "component properties", in the field "model document path" there is the old path from the computer where the component was originally created. That path does not exist on my computer. But if I unsuppress the component, SolidWorks still find the file (in a different path, of course). It also stores the new file path in the component properties.

So in order to find the file, SolidWorks must have done a search.

Is there an API method that does this search? A method that takes a string (old file path) as argument* and returns a string (new file path)?

*and possibly some more arguments

• Re: Get current file path from old file path
          Jonathan Westcott

Jana,

I think that the reason the file was found was because after SolidWorks looked in the original location and didn't find the file, it then looked in the directory of the assembly, and failing that looked in your search paths specified in System Options>File Locations>Search Paths.

If it didn't find the file then I think it would have then asked you to either manually find or suppress the item again.

You may not need the API hear as you could just specify search paths, depending on how complex your directory structures are.

The easiest way is to make directory structures consistent across machines.

Not sure if this helps.

• Re: Get current file path from old file path
              Jacob Corder

you have to write your own, but you can execute a find file when solidworks fires a notification of

AddHandler ISwApp.ReferenceNotFoundNotify, AddressOf Me.SldWorks_ReferenceNotFoundNotify

Function SldWorks_ReferenceNotFoundNotify(ByVal CurrentPath As String) As Integer

Try

Dim InvalidChars() As Char = Path.GetInvalidPathChars

If IsNothing(InvalidChars) = False Then

For i = 0 To UBound(InvalidChars)

If CurrentPath.Contains(InvalidChars(i).ToString) Then

Return 0

End If

Next

End If

Dim InvalidFileChars() As Char = Path.GetInvalidFileNameChars

Dim FName As String = Path.GetFileName(CurrentPath)

For i = 0 To UBound(InvalidFileChars)

If FName.Contains(InvalidFileChars(i).ToString) Then

Return 0

End If

Next

Dim FileNameOut As String = 'Execute some way of finding the file, My addin uses enterprise pdm searching to locate the files

If Len(Trim(FileNameOut)) > 0 Then

ISwApp.SetMissingReferencePathName(FileNameOut)

Return -1

End If

Catch ex As Exception

ISwApp.SendMsgToUser2("Error Happened at 'Sldworks_ReferenceFoundNotNotify', Notify Administrator. Error = " & ex.Message, swMessageBoxIcon_e.swMbWarning, swMessageBoxBtn_e.swMbOk)

End Try

Return DocumentEventHandler.SOK

End Function