11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 13, 2018 1:14 PM by Rob Rodríguez

Texture mapping multiple parts

Loren Swensen

Hi Visualize users,

I've been using Visualize for a few months now and one thing is really bugging me. When I apply a appearance to multiple parts and go to edit the texture mapping it prompts "Select a single part to edit its texture mapping. " I have never rendered a model that I have wanted to have a different scale for the texture on different parts. If its paint, the paint should be uniform. If its wood, the grain should be uniform. I don't know why Visualize doesn't have an option to select all parts when changing texture mapping.

Is there a way to make the texture scale the same scale on all parts without having to manually go in and change the texture scale on every part? This get time consuming when I have a model with lots of parts. If their is not a way to change the scale on all parts at the same time, is their at least a way to change the world scale so its at least easier to set everything manually?

• Re: Texture mapping multiple parts
          Chris Cunningham

I think what you are looking for is the "Tile" slider. It is under bump or specular.

Loren Swensen

When I change Tile under Bump it does unify the texture scale on different parts. It seems to scale the texture fine, but the scale between my parts are different.  Under texture mapping- transform-scale all, the value is still different. I still have to adjust texture mapping part by part.  All the black pieces are the same appearance, but you can see that the texture of one part is scaled up significantly.

Tom Morton

I've been having exactly the same problem....  Did you get anywhere with this?

Scott Ellery

This is where it can be a good idea to duplicate a material to apply it to specific parts and scale each texture individually per part until you get your desired look in your render

Tom Morton

Scott Ellery But I have never ever ever wanted to have a material at different scales on different parts.  I'm not sure if anyone has.

I create a material, with a bump map texture to represent powder coat.  I don't want that bump map to have bumps 5mm wide on one part, and .5mm wide on another part.  Powder coating will be the same scale throughout the model, whatever the individual part sizes are.

Yet in Solidworks, I have to manually adjust every single part where the material is used on, just to make it the same scale.  As someone mentioned earlier, at the minimum, we need a world scale so that everywhere the material is used can be set to a universal scale.

If I wanted a different scale material, it would be better organised to create a new material at a different scale rather then having this option on every single part.  At the moment it's just hassle and there are other applications out there which do all this better...  even Clarisse or Keyshot are fairly cost effective considering the functionality they have, compared to Visualize.

Scott Ellery

Hi Tom ,

this was a poor choice of words on my part and I believe I misread the original issue so let's try again.

Texture mapping has nothing to do with scaling (tiling) the texture , it is going to dictate how it maps the appearance to the geometry it's been applied to. if you have one appearance that you have mapped to spherical, cylindrical and planer or cubic surfaces they all need to to map in different ways to display in a realistic manner. This is why you select an individual part to change the texture mapping so that you don't need to create new appearances for different mapping types, it give you the option of adjusting the mapping if the default mapping isn't correct.

Loren Swensen

Scott,

You are talking about the ability to change the texture mapping mode. I agree that this might be a good thing to change depending on the individual part. But the original problem that both Tom and I have is not the mapping mode but the scaling of the texture itself. In the example i gave before I'm applying a powder coat texture all in box mode. I have the texture scale set at 0.3 for all parts. If I decide that it would look better to have the texture scale at 0.5 instead I have to manually select each individual part and change them all to 0.5. As far as I can tell their is still no way to select multiple parts to change the texture mapping scale all at once. This wastes a lot of time. Like Tom said, I have never had an assembly where I have wanted the texture scale on one part to be different on each part.

Rob Rodríguez

This is a topic that has been kicked around for a long time.  Years ago SW added a check box to their CAD software to not automatically scale appearances.  So, when you add an appearance in SW which has a texture the texture remains at the scale it was created or saved at originally.

As an example.  1/4" x 1/4 hardware cloth is a metal mesh anyone can buy at the hardware store.  Its holes are 1/4" x 1/4".  I can buy a 24" x 24" sheet or I can buy a 48" x 96" sheet at the store.  The holes are still 1/4" x 1/4".  The holes don't scale or space differently for the different size sheets in real life. Similarly in SW CAD software if I create a 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth texture and check the "do not scale textures" check box it doesn't matter what size geometry I apply the appearance to it still remains the correct scale for the 1/4" x 1/4" holes.  This is the way it should work in my opinion.

Another example is a mold-tech texture.  In real life Mold-tech doesn't scale their texture based on the size of the geometry.  The mold-tech texture is created at a specific size and is applied to all sizes of geometry at the same scale.  That's why there are different sizes and types of mold-tech textures.  In the software it should be the same way.  Mold-tech texture 12 (as an example name) appearance is created at a specific size, design, etc.  When its applied to geometry it should remain the size it was designed at , not scaled based on the size of the geometry.  If it scales (as it does now) then its no longer an accurate mold-tech texture because the scaling is not consistent with the real life texture.

There is a lot of hype about physically accurate materials, etc. but what about accuracy in terms of size and scale.  If your material (appearance) doesn't reflect real world accuracy for size and scale is it truly a physically based and accurate material....?.... I would say No.

As it currently stands.  A user can have their texture appearance mimic the real world in terms of not scaling the texture in SW CAD and also PhotoView 360 but they can't for Visualize.  It should be consistent across all products.

Rich Fagioli

Rob Rodríguez wrote:

...Similarly in SW CAD software if I create a 1/4" x 1/4" hardware cloth texture and check the "do not scale textures" check box it doesn't matter what size geometry I apply the appearance to it still remains the correct scale for the 1/4" x 1/4" holes. This is the way it should work in my opinion.

... Another example is a mold-tech texture.

There is a lot of hype about physically accurate materials, etc. but what about accuracy in terms of size and scale. If your material (appearance) doesn't reflect real world accuracy for size and scale is it truly a physically based and accurate material....?.... I would say No.

I largely agree with you....up to a point.

If I had to convey to a viewer a screen door as viewed from a few inches, I'd leave my 3mm mesh size untouched. However, if viewed from several feet away, that mesh size becomes just a hazy film; quite "realistic",  but it fails to convey "mesh screen". So, I'll alter the scale of the texture such it conveys the appearance of a mesh screen, despite the dimensional inaccuracy. I have to do this routinely with machined metal textures. The viewer's eye sees one thing, the mind, another. You could say as much for the renderer.

Rob Rodríguez

I would agree with you as well.  There are some cases where the texture scale needs to be adjusted for certain reasons and that's OK.  I'll rephrase what I said earlier.  When a texture appearance is applied it's scale should not be adjusted but remain at the created scale.  If the texture scale needs to be adjusted the user can do that in the same ways they do now.    This is how it works in SW CAD and PV360.  This allows textured appearances to be quickly applied to multiple items at the same scale and also for adjustment in those situations that require it.  It's a win/win