4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 16, 2018 1:58 PM by Jason Edelman

Hi. I'm unable to loft the airfoil sections together. Any ideas?

Melissa Sheu

I'm modelling an 8 inch propeller but for some unknown reason, I'm unable to loft the airfoil sections together. Any ideas?

• Re: Hi. I'm unable to loft the airfoil sections together. Any ideas?
          Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I'm suspecting this is a homework assignment, therefore your replies will be limited along the lines of "nudges".

Two nudges:

1. I don't see the need for the horizontal lines in each section. I'd suggest changing them to construction.
          2. Review help on lofts. There are other "pieces" required that I'm not seeing.

Post your progress with screen shots, which include your tree so we can gather what you've done.

Cheers,

Kevin

Jason Edelman

Melissa, you are close... a primary component of SW is single closed/continuous sketch geometry (there are ways to have disjoined sketches, but its more work... who wants that.)

Convert these lines to construction geometry to simplify sketches for lofting.

It would be good to know (and use) about selection manager...to access 'Selection Manager' when creating a feature; RMB (right click)

This gives you a sub-menu to select the sketch geometry.

Melissa Sheu

Hi Jason!

Thanks for the valuable insight. I managed to loft it however, I can't seem to mirror it using the circular pattern and it keeps asking me to check my loft. Any ideas on my loft?

Melissa

Jason Edelman

Ah yes, you have found another idiosyncrasy of using SW. Do not worry there are more you will find, to frustrate, and challenge your 3D model creation. But there is hope because people create/engineer eminence structure and parts everyday using SW

May I suggest as you encounter a feature that does not work;

1) understand what features you are manipulating and how you are asking them to interact with each other.

2) keep features/geometry simple, (sure SW has options in features as 'up-to-next' but that ask alot of the program when not necessary, thats not to say I don't use up to surface/next regularly, but my experience knows the limits of its usefulness and the issues it can/will give me)

See results when you edit feature> Boss-Extrude7> Direction 1> to 'Bind'

Next work with Merge results and Feature Scope to only 'merge' with Loft1 body.

Happy Modeling Jason