4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 8:23 AM by Jim Wilkinson

Solidworks Nvidia Drivers Windows 10

Jim Moses

Hi all,

Using Solidworks 2016 SP05 on a HPZ800 with a Nvidia 5000 card, and experiencing a lot of lockups not sure if this is the reason, but one to check off the list, according to the Hardware page it does not list Windows 10 as a option only Windows 7 64 bit, so which drivers should I be using?

Currently have the 354.56 and wondering if I should downgrade or is there another driver for my application?

Also note I have 2016 & 2017 loaded on this machine and require both for customer requirements.

Regards,

• Re: Solidworks Nvidia Drivers Windows 10
          Elmar Klammer

Hi Jim,

Manufacturer's will usually list the right driver for a given build. Check the HP site first. There is often a difference compared to the SW listed drivers. If that doesn't help simply choose from SW list of recommended drivers. Select any system that will give you the Win10 option

Windows 10 has a habit to auto-update device drivers and makes driver management a bit of a pain.

If you have a working driver then it is recommended to disable automatic download for devices.

Or you can try to rollback to a working option. Nvidia software is pretty good that way. If the rollback

is inactive then simply download another version as per recommendations.

Elmar

Glenn Schroeder

I don't have any experience with that graphics card, but have you tried running with OpenGL (see the last part of Why am I getting weird graphics issues?).  If you do that and still get the lockups I believe it will mean that the graphics card isn't the issue (although it's likely that it is).

Dennis Dohogne

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

I don't have any experience with that graphics card, but have you tried running with OpenGL (see the last part of Why am I getting weird graphics issues?). If you do that and still get the lockups I believe it will mean that the graphics card isn't the issue (although it's likely that it is).

Glenn's tip about running in OpenGL is the very first step a person should take if they suspect they have a problem with a graphics card.

Jim Wilkinson

Dennis Dohogne wrote:

Glenn's tip about running in OpenGL is the very first step a person should take if they suspect they have a problem with a graphics card.

Just to be clear so there isn't any confusion. SOLIDWORKS is ALWAYS running in OpenGL. The option that is used for troubleshooting (or for very low end/unsupported graphics cards) is "Software OpenGL". OpenGL is the standard graphics language that SOLIDWORKS uses to display graphics as described by this wikipedia article. As the article says, OpenGL is designed to run on the graphics card hardware, but it can be run entirely in software as well (in your CPU of your computer instead of the GPU which is on the graphics card). So, running it in Software OpenGL bypasses the graphics card GPU, runs it on the CPU and therefore helps troubleshoot whether the problem is with the card/driver or not. Of course running OpenGL on the CPU is much slower than running on the GPU since GPU's are specifically designed to display graphics and the CPU is not.

See this troubleshooting section of the help for more details:

2017 SOLIDWORKS Help - Graphics Adapters and Drivers

Thanks,

Jim