AnsweredAssumed Answered

Variant and Invariant volumes

Question asked by Andrew Hill on Feb 14, 2018

I am redesigning an Formula FSAE suspension upright and to do so I need to subject a model to topological optimisation. To do this I need to model the upright environment/geometry and set "variant and invariant volumes." Variant volumes will be optimised with regards to weight (by applying forces found and creating the most efficient geometry found to withstand loading etc) and invariant volumes are invariant are due to the holes/mounts/bearings will reside. I have found a paper describing it but all it says is that it uses a Knowledge Base, and I have no idea what it is or how it is used. Can someone help me figure out how to set invariant and variant volumes. Thank you

Quoting the article;

"To support these modelling operations, a KB interface has been implemented in SolidWorks which allows to specify the invariant geometrical elements (starting from the functional surfaces) and to store these entities and the model to be optimized in separate files [25-27]. Moreover, through this interface, the HyperMesh module can be directly executed in SolidWorks "

Outcomes