7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2018 12:06 PM by Elmar Klammer Branched to a new discussion.

Bend_Calculation Table Variables?

Derek Eldridge

In the bend_calculation.xls, does anyone know what the "lg" represents in the k-factor equation?

• Re: Bend_Calculation Table Variables?
          Dennis Dohogne

This isn't a direct answer to your question, but attached is information I put together to explain K-factors and a spreadsheet to facilitate data collection for calculating your own.

Derek Eldridge

Thank you Dennis.

I did see your attachments on two other posts.

My sheet metal shop uses bend deduction. They have not shared a full table. And when i'm bedding at various angles, without the K factor or deduction values, I don't want to have to add a line every time I use another angle. I've had better luck with the calculation table. At least to quickly complete mockups. Then the shop adds the info they need when I give it to them.

My question is to better understand what Solidworks is actually doing in that file.

Kevin Chandler

Hello,

I believe it's supposed to be "log".

As you deviate from the theoretical inside radius = sheet thickness (log(1) = 0), it adjusts the 0.65 value by 1/2 of the log ratio.

Cheers,

Kevin

EDIT: Here's the equation graphed:

Elmar Klammer

Hi Derek,

That's a bend table as per DIN 6935 - Cold bending of flat rolled steel.

The formula is correct. "lg" stands for log(10).

L = a + b + v

Elmar

Derek Eldridge

Thank you both Kevin Chandler and Elmar Klammer.

I think you're both right. Elmar, thank you for clarifying the source.

Now, looking at DIN6935, I want to list all the variables in case someone else has a similar question for other variables in this sheet. They are not all defined in SolidWorks bend_calculation.xls, and there are a couple conflicting variables representing the greek notation.

DIN 6935:2011-10

α = Bending angle (DIN6935)

ß = Opening angle (DIN6935)

b = Leg length (DIN6935)

b = ß (Solidworks "bend_calculation.xls")

a = Leg length (DIN6935)

a = α (Solidworks "bend_calculation.xls")

Bend Angle = ß = 180-α (Solidworks "bend_calculation.xls")

v = Compensating value (DIN6935 & Solidworks "bend_calculation.xls")

Developed length = a + b + v  (DIN6935)

k = Correction Factor or k-factor (DIN6935 & Solidworks "bend_calculation.xls")

Elmar Klammer

Hi Derek,

I don't know of any other standard like this for Alu or or other steels. It's fairly old and was re-issued in 2011 with minor cosmetic updates.

That's a official standard and you are technically not supposed to copy sections out. But I think showing the sketch is okay.

The leg measurements change depending on the bend angle range (use tangent length setting)

The formula works best only between r/s of 0.8...5

For r/s > 5                  you use a correction factor k of 1

For r/s 0.25 ... 0.8      you can use the formula with some restrictions as seen from graph below.

For r/s <0.2                you use a correction factor of 1

Derek Eldridge

Elmar Klammer, do you know of an aluminum version of that standard? Or any other material for that matter?