8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2018 1:18 PM by Roxanne McClain

Easier way to replace parts already mated in SW Assembly

Roxanne McClain

I design water slides, and I do it based off of pool sketches supplied by pool builders so I know the area we have to work with. We have all of the interchangeable parts drawn as individual part files and insert them as components in a New Assembly for the project we are working on.

When I am trying to hit an exact point with say a pier that is already installed rather than trial and error is there a way to take one of the component parts, we will say a 3' straight component , and simply replace it with a 5' straight component, can I do that without having to delete the 3' part and its mates and then insert the 5' and redo all of the mates to the parts as the 3' where? Seems like there should be an easier way, that how I have been doing it.

I attached a simple slide image, so you can get a visual..

• Re: Easier way to replace parts already mated in SW Assembly
          Shad Thomas

Right click on part in tree, click the expand arrow at the bottom, select "Replace Components". As long as you have your mates done properly, it should go without a hitch.

Tom Gagnon

I use Replace Components a lot, so have it also customized into mouse menu icons on components in assembly context.

If you have similar items all similarly defined with common reference entities named exactly-the-same across different components, then exact same-named entities will automatically replace into mates without additional selections in the process. It is very very convenient to perform this command, and click ok on an empty list of mate references to reassign.

In my pipe fittings, all straight objects have "Axis", all bent objects have "Axis1" and "Axis2", and a T or Y gets "ThroughAxis" and "BranchAxis".

Objects get Inlet Seat Plane, Outlet Seat Plane, Branch Seat Plane, M End Plane, F Seat Plane, or such as appropriate to that component. As such, replacing a reducer bushing replaces references automatically of Axis, M End Plane, F Seat Plane, and Top Plane as long as every bushing in my library has same entities named exactly same.

Specialized hardware such as a flange stud will have symmetric reference planes.

Replacing a reducer bushing with a valve does not work similarly, because valves have different common reference entities than reducers.

This initial attention to detailed similarity has been useful among piping assemblies, sheet metal construction assemblies, fiberglass enclosures, sensors and transmitters, subassemblies, electrical operator controls, and just about anything that has a categorical similarity.

To your ends, fasteners can have standardized names of Axis, Seat Planes, and same orientation relative to primary planes.

If the 3' and 5' parts share internal geometry such as Top Plane, YAxis, EndPlane, ContactFacePlane, BoltdownAxis1, or whatever makes sense in your designs, AND those and only those are used to mate to other objects, then replace components will be a pleasure.

NOT defining standardized reference entities means you will end up selecting faces, edges, and anything that needs mated to, from the Replace Component's replace mate entities dialog. Note that contextual use of the embedded Isolate tool is very helpful in un-obscuring what you intend to select.

Roxanne McClain

Shad, this is so helpful. So much easier for a novice SW user. Thanks for the tip.

David Matula

another thing that you could do is use some configurations for the straight components then all you would have to do is to change the configuration in that assembly and boom all done you don't even have to go an look for a file. 

Paul Risley

I agree with David Matula and to make it simpler if these are " stock" components the configuration can be detailed on multi page drawings so one file for the parts and drawings. I am assuming you use standard length pier connectors with some kind of custom transom to actually attach the slide to. So in essence all of your pier risers will revolve around stock sizing and your connections are what would be custom. Then configurations of 1 part file would be the best way to go.Then it is simply a click and re-build to change. Depending on how many variables are involved in sizes and lengths you may want a design table to drive it all.

Glenn Schroeder

Hello Roxanne,

That sounds like a fun job.  I'd suggest either using configurations of the straight sections, as David Matula suggested, or save the Part as a new name, then edit it to fit instead of replacing it with another one.

Vladimir Urazhdin

Another way to get it done is to create a flexible parametrically driven part and link parameters to part number